Help! Monitor settings won’t save!

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I hope someone out there can help me with my current issue. At work they provide us with the brand new MacBook pros to do our work. They also provide us with two huge HP monitors so we don’t have to squint at a tiny laptop screen. Since Apple decided to take out all the ports and leave the MacBook with only usb-c ports, I have to use adapters for all of my equipment, including the two HP monitors. I started off with 1 monitor and everything was working ok, but when they gave me the 2nd monitor, I started experiencing issues. I have my main display set at standard and the 2nd monitor at 90 degrees so I can read documents better. Every time I lock my computer to go on break or to the bathroom, I unlock my computer and my display settings get all messed up. I spend about 5 mins trying to maneuver my mouse to change the display settings so I can see everything properly again.

Does anyone know why it won’t save my display settings? Our admin person said it’s a Mac default setting and there isn’t anything he can do about it. I noticed other people with older MacBooks aren’t haven’t this issue though. I’m open to any thoughts or opinions on this.

Thanks in advance!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I understand that you have changed the orientation of one of the displays and why. I'm not an expert on this area so I hope someone with more experience will chime in here. What I am surprised at is that you do not have a better informed Tech support person to help you out. Dual monitors are nothing new.
One thing that does seem apparent is that your display is sleeping during your brief absences and that can be prevented in Energy Saver Settings (System Prefs) but it does not solve the bigger problem of saving your settings.
See if this article is any help:
http://osxdaily.com/2010/12/28/rotate-mac-screen-orientation/

OP
L
Reaction score
I understand that you have changed the orientation of one of the displays and why. I'm not an expert on this area so I hope someone with more experience will chime in here. What I am surprised at is that you do not have a better informed Tech support person to help you out. Dual monitors are nothing new.
One thing that does seem apparent is that your display is sleeping during your brief absences and that can be prevented in Energy Saver Settings (System Prefs) but it does not solve the bigger problem of saving your settings.
See if this article is any help:
http://osxdaily.com/2010/12/28/rotate-mac-screen-orientation/

Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately because of the nature of my work, I am required to lock my screens if I'm away from my desk. And I appreciate the link, but it looks like it's the same directions I use to rotate my monitors already. My coworker suggested that maybe the macbook is confused because of all the adapters or because the 2 monitors are the same brand and model. Just doesn't make sense that a sophisticated piece of technology isn't able to recognize two separate monitors. Also, when my coworker tried to charge his android phone (usb-c compatible) on his macbook (same model as mine), the phone charges the laptop instead of the other way around. It's crazy and I'm wondering if anyone is experiencing weird issues with their new macbooks too??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It's crazy and I'm wondering if anyone is experiencing weird issues with their new macbooks too??

I have no such equipment but I can't help wonder if SwitchRESX couldn't fix your problem???

It has a free trial but some settings won't stick after a restart until paid for, unless things have changed. We used to use it.
Also, now one will need to deal with Apple's latest OS X versions and their SIP to get things installed.

Info on both here:
http://www.madrau.com
and
http://www.madrau.com/support/support/srx_1011.html

PS: I've also been reading that a lot of video adapters don't all work as expected with Apple's new and only port, and a lot of "me toos" and no real definitive suggestions or solutions as to which ones DO work properly.

And it's nice that the company supplies the monitors but unfortunate as Rod says that the Tech support person isn't a bit more savvy or helpful.

PPS: What brand/model adapters are you currently using??
And what macOS version??

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I “believe” the setting you are looking for, is in the Monitor settings, and not in the MBP Display settings. I know my Samsung monitor has that option, even though it is on a stand and doesn’t have the ability to rotate, I assumed it had to do with the VESA mount option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.