iMac Damaged?

Reaction score
I was watching a video on my iMac and bumped the top of my computer with my hand so that it shook the computer. I'm concerned I could have damaged the computer in some way, probably most likely the hdd. I have quite a lot of video files I haven't had change to back up yet and I'm also concerned that I've caused some of them to become corrupt because of like a head crash or something. I have several questions I'm hoping people can help with.

1. Did I likely cause any physical damage to the computer?
  2. Did this likely shorten the life of the HDD/computer?
  3. Did I likely corrupt files or cause data loss or something?
  4. How can I check for physical damage to the HDD?
  5. How can I check for corrupt files?
  6. Will Disk Utility Verify Disk tell me if there is physical damage or corrupt files?

It's a PPC G5 iMac stuck at 10.5.8 so I can't really run a lot of software. I did run Verify Disk in Disk Utility and that didn't give me any errors, but I really don't understand what that actually does.

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Not quite, it takes a little bit of effort to cause issues for the HDD. Gentle moving around is completely fine. A bump like that is hardly going to directly hit the drive anyway..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Agreed...the computer & HD are probably fine. Get everything backed up ASAP...then you can relax even further.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree that no damage occurred. However, take special note of what Nick mentioned above about making backups! ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.