Bug in iMovie HD?

D

davehardy

URGENT!
I want to warn anyone using (or about to) iMovie HD if they want to import music clips from iTunes and fade them up or down, crossfade, etc. Previous versions did this perfectly, but I have just wasted many days (see my previous posting, 'Irregular sound in iMovie') because at the end of a fade the sound suddenly surges back in a very brief burst. At other times the volume increases during one clip for no reason at all (MP3 or AIFF -- no diference). It sounds fine in iMovie HD itself, but when you burn it in iDVD the problem becomes evident.

The original 'live' sound from a camcorder etc. is fine, but there is no workaround (I've tried everything!); I had to re-build my movie, of the recent eclipse in trhe Sahara, in iMovie 4 from scratch. The question is: Does Apple KNOW about this problem, and is it doing anything about a fix -- ?

OP
D

davehardy

Bug in iMovie HD

Nobody seems interested in this, but it seems that I have been vindicated, since yesterday I received this in Software Update:

This update to iMovie HD 6 addresses issues with PAL audio and displaying iLife Sound Effects automatically in its iLife Media Browser. It also improves overall stability and address a number of other minor issues.

'issues with PAL audio', eh --- ? Hah! (Perhaps Apple does listen, after all. . .)
DAH

davehardy said:
URGENT!
I want to warn anyone using (or about to) iMovie HD if they want to import music clips from iTunes and fade them up or down, crossfade, etc. Previous versions did this perfectly, but I have just wasted many days (see my previous posting, 'Irregular sound in iMovie') because at the end of a fade the sound suddenly surges back in a very brief burst. At other times the volume increases during one clip for no reason at all (MP3 or AIFF -- no diference). It sounds fine in iMovie HD itself, but when you burn it in iDVD the problem becomes evident.

The original 'live' sound from a camcorder etc. is fine, but there is no workaround (I've tried everything!); I had to re-build my movie, of the recent eclipse in trhe Sahara, in iMovie 4 from scratch. The question is: Does Apple KNOW about this problem, and is it doing anything about a fix -- ?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
davehardy said:
URGENT!
I want to warn anyone using (or about to) iMovie HD if they want to import music clips from iTunes and fade them up or down, crossfade, etc.
davehardy said:
Nobody seems interested in this, but it seems that I have been vindicated, since yesterday I received this in Software Update:
Is it possible, that most of us are using NTSC and not PAL. So we did not notice the problem or could it be we took your statement as a warning and felt no comments were necessary.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.