Storing & recovering converted clips in BURN

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 10.10.2
Hi. The non-tech fluent geezer here again. Using BURN to create simple instructional DVDs with 10-20 Chapters.

I can get the DVDs made just fine but I cannot figure how to store the CONVERTED files and recover them to burn additional copies at a later date. Each time I need anoher copy of two have to pull my original iMovie-created clips from a folder, drag them onto the BURN list window, wait for them to get converted and sort them in the proper order and then burn them. As long as the BURN window is open I can create as many copy DVDs as I need at the moment. Once I close the program, I have to repeat the whole odious & time consuming operation all over again.

I can see the folder that was created to hold the converted files and the names of all the converted clips but while the folder title is showing as active, the individual converted clips are "greyed" out & not selectable. Each time I do this the set of files appears again so the folder ends up with 4 or 5 inaccessible copies of each clip. If I try to select & save the clips from the BURN window before closing it, all I get is a 9 or 10 kb folder with the names listed but not the files themselves.

I hope I explained this clearly. I find the program useful tho not too pretty. It meets my primitive needs save for this issue.

I have posted this question to a BURN forum at SourceForge but after over 30 views have received no reply.

I have attempted to reach KIWI Fruit with the supplied email address ([email protected]) but it always gets kicked back by a demon robot saying no such address.

I'm just a step from paradise but ain't got the key. Any help appreciated. :\

DH

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Don't have an answer for your question just yet but I love the signature line.

Have you thought about saving an image file before completing the burn? Then burn the file as usual. The next time you need a copy mount the disk image and use Burn to copy the file. That might be a bit faster than what you are doing now.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
At the enormous cost of one blank Disk, I followed our Moderator Sydude's advice and created an image file. I used Burn and at the end of the process, a window appeared as below.

By dragging the image file into the Copy window, I was able to burn another copy.

Hope this works for you.

Ian

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 19.16.36.png

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for testing that Ian. I haven't used that method in a while since I rarely burn DVDs anymore.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 10.10.2
Don't have an answer for your question just yet but I love the signature line.

Have you thought about saving an image file before completing the burn? Then burn the file as usual. The next time you need a copy mount the disk image and use Burn to copy the file. That might be a bit faster than what you are doing now.

1. Thanks for your prompt replies.

2. As I stated early on really so intensely ignorant of much that most seem to understand easily. I tried to grasp what you and IWT put out but I'm lost. I cannot copy the converted file(s) that appear in the BURN list. If I click on the "COPY" tab I see the layout as IWT posted but how do I drag the image file to it? I can highlight file(s) in the DVD tab window but I cannot save it in any way to carry it over to the window from the "COPY" tab.

Hope dealing with the dull geezer isn't too taxing. ****, I have to live with it every day myself.

Thanks if you can elaborate in any way.

DH

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can hang on for a day or two I'll post a video explaining the process. In the meantime perhaps someone can provide specific directions.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 10.10.2
If you can hang on for a day or two I'll post a video explaining the process. In the meantime perhaps someone can provide specific directions.

No prob, used to hanging. Any help is gratefully appreciated. Have made some extra copies so OK for a bit.

Thanks so much!

DH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Geezerdh, I can't think why you can't access the converted clips. They should have been converted to .mpg files. My copy of Burn accepts them. Are your files .mpg?

As that does not appear to be working, you can, as suggested, save your Burn Project as an Image File. To do this, instead of clicking the "Burn" button to burn the DVD, go into the File Menu and choose, "Save Image". Once that is complete, you can then burn your first DVD in the normal way.

To burn subsequent copies at a later date. open Burn, choose "Copy" from the tabs at the top of the window, and then drag and drop the saved Image File into the window. Then burn the DVD.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 10.10.2
Geezerdh, I can't think why you can't access the converted clips. They should have been converted to .mpg files. My copy of Burn accepts them. Are your files .mpg?

As that does not appear to be working, you can, as suggested, save your Burn Project as an Image File. To do this, instead of clicking the "Burn" button to burn the DVD, go into the File Menu and choose, "Save Image". Once that is complete, you can then burn your first DVD in the normal way.

To burn subsequent copies at a later date. open Burn, choose "Copy" from the tabs at the top of the window, and then drag and drop the saved Image File into the window. Then burn the DVD.

Thanks MightyGem. Sorry it took so long to respond, life got in the way,...again.

Did a quick test of your instructions. I only used one short clip. Although non-intuitive, at least to my brain, it seemed to work, tho I did not burn a disc. I am presently going through the tedious and slow process of putting all 20 clips into the BURN list and then running the "SAVE IMAGE" routine as you spelled out. It would appear, if this is the method, that you must save the file set BEFORE burning. That is part of why I said it was not intuitive to me. When I create a document I can save it before or after I print it out. Anyway willing to be humble & compromise my methods to wiggle along in the real world.

I'll burn another disc then and see if I can recover the converted files and have a second disc burn as hoped. Took off my shoes, crossed my toes and will report back as soon as I can.

Thank you so much, Hope this is the trick.

DH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.