Iphone 4s IOS help needed

Reaction score

Hi, my wife has an Iphone 4s which is currently running IOS 7.4 and it's absolutely slow. (yes we know we are seriously behind in updating - but there is a solid good reason).

Long story short - I'm running 10.6.8 on my mac pro and 10.8.3 on my MBP. My iphone 6 is currently running on IOS 9.1

IF i update my iphone by one update, i will then have to update my itunes on my MBP, which will then cause me to HAVE to update my operating system from 10.8.3 to 10.8.5.

by doing so, my FCP7 and a slew of other still very handy and useable programs will then not work.

So in other words, it's a backwards domino effect for me.

In regards to my wife's iphone 4s, we tried to update the IOS via my itunes on my mac pro (10.6.8) and it's telling me that i must update to IOS 9.3.5 This IOS will not run on either of my computers, and actually be a "newer" IOS than what my iphone 6 is currently running.

MY QUESTION - How can I get IOS 8 or IOS 9 downloaded from somewhere, and have it installed onto my wife's iphone 4s?

If there is a way around this, i'd GREATLY appreciate the help.

Many thanks & sorry for the long novel of a post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You will need to have adequate space on the iPhone, then you can do an “over the air” update, to iOS 9.?.?, directly on the iPhone 4S, if you want.

I’m confused, how do you know updating from 10.8.3 to 10.8.5 will cause the issues with those apps?

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks you for the reply ferrarr.

If i do the update over the air on her iphone, it will automaticaly update to IOS 9.3.5, which is beyond what my mac osx would be able to handle, without updating the itunes, which will then have me update the ios to something newer.

My FCP7 as well as Pro tools and other apps that i've paid for, will not work on a newer OSX.

I'm not in a position to re-purchase all of these apps for my computer, JUST because i've foolishly updated my phone / wife's phone IOS to a newer version.

Just because there is a newer IOS, does not mean you must update to it. Many get fooled into this way of thinking.

For example - my Mac Pro is on 10.6.8 - Apples sturdiest and most solid OSX ever made, and will stay there.

My Macbook pro is on 10.8.3, and still runs all of my apps (FCP, Pro Tools etc). If i update my ios on my iphone 6 to anything beyond IOS 9.1, i will then have no choice but to update my itunes, which will then FORCE me to update my OSX to 10.8.5 (on my laptop), which will then cause my FCP7 and pro tools etc to NO longer work.

As stated in my original post - it's a backwards domino effect - one that i'm not subjecting my self to, soley because of an iphone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Hmmm…??? I thought this sounded rather familiar so I'm assuming that the OP is one of the same MacAttack416 ehmac.ca member and a recent post:
http://www.ehmac.ca/showthread.php?p=2558865#post2558865

And as I mentioned there, forget iTunes and use the iMazing.app. Yes it costs some money but will save you some hassle and grief.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know what the problem is or even why you're asking....

The resolution is simple: Don't upgrade the 4s. You aren't going to make that ancient phone any faster by upgrading it; as a matter of fact it will only get slower.

Either that, or do what Patrick recommended in his post above this one.

OP
L
Reaction score
yeah i will look into what Patrick said.

Jailbreaking is also an option, from what i've been reading.

I am looking for a newer Iphone5s for my wife, but the caveat still remains - finding a newer iphone, with IOS 9.1 or older.

I'm not a fan of how Apple has locked you into your IOS and won't allow you to go backwards.

I've been a life long Apple user, and honestly, this is the first time i've ever considered going Android.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
yeah i will look into what Patrick said.
Jailbreaking is also an option, from what i've been reading.

It may be too late but I'm not up to date on the older iDevice jailbreaking situation. I do know I enjoyed using it on my iPad 2 in iOS 7.x days and was able to overcome a lot of Apple's limitations.

I am looking for a newer Iphone5s for my wife, but the caveat still remains - finding a newer iphone, with IOS 9.1 or older.

What "smart cellphone stuff" does she actually use or need with a cellphone?

I use an old Samsung fliphone that suits me fine for my retirement years and on a fixed income. It costs me about $25.00 - $50.00/year using the Canada 711 Speakout Service. (It piggybacks onto the Rogers cell network.)
For any other stuff I can use my old iPad 2 and added family data for $10.00/month and carry it in the car.

PS: Maybe your wife should have her own Mac and be completely independent from and not rely on using yours.

PPS: You'll hopefully be glad you dropped a line for help here as the Canadian ehmac.ca site seems to have changed into almost just a name calling political opinion *****ing web forum since the "mayor" passed it on to the new owners, and most of all the good Mac Help gurus have just faded into he background. Too bad…

PPPS: Maybe just doing a Backup using iMazing etc. and then wiping and doing a brand new Restore would help but I'd do some web searching on that before attempting anything so drastic.
iMazing and some equivalents are available, with user comments here, and make note that TouchCopy is on Sale for $20.00± for a limited time. (I have no experience with TouchCopy.)
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27830/imazing

(Don't click the MacUpdate Desktop download by mistake!!!)

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main: 2017 MacBook Pro Touchbar 15". Secondary: 2006 MacBook, 2.0 GHz, 1GB RAM, 80 GB HD, OSX 10.6.
Try going into the iPhone's ISO on a PC and try doing the command open thing. It may or may not work. But, worth a try, if you have a Windows device, or can bootcamp on one of your Macs. Personally, I recommend what Ferrarr said. But, it's not IMPOSSIBLE to use the ISO. If you can DNF it, it may work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.