Upgrading RAM on iMac Late 09

Reaction score
I have a late 2009 iMac, 21.5", 3.06ghz intel core 2 duo with a measly 4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 ram (i bought it used a few years ago for like $250). As you can guess, processes are very bogged down.

Anyway, i'm on MacSales.com wanting to upgrade my RAM with some OWC chips. I was wondering if it would be better to upgrade all 4 memory slots (4 gb each) for a total of 16 gb memory, which is the limit for this model--or if I should just go with two 4gb for the two open slots i have available. I suppose what i'm asking is if it will really make a huge difference in tasks from 12 gb to 16...

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It will handle up to 16GB, which will be 4x4GB from Crucial or Owc.

The biggest band for your buck will be a Solid State Drive if you are adventurous enough to do the job yourself. Go over to ifixit.com and look at their tear down for that model.

And rememberGoogle is your friend!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5
Just did this with my late 2009 iMac today. Ordered 2x4GB Corsair chips and installed them to total 12GB with fantastic results. Do it, you'll love it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.