Mac Book Pro 17" whine? heat?

I

island woman

Does anyone have a 17" MBP yet? Does it have the same whine and heat problems as the 15.4"? Any new problems or is it just plain great?

OP
M

marker227

island woman said:
Does anyone have a 17" MBP yet? Does it have the same whine and heat problems as the 15.4"? Any new problems or is it just plain great?

My 15" whines a little when it's just on. I think thats normal though. Mine also got very hot the first time I started using games on it, but now it's very cool. The whining is still there though. I wonder if that's wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, SSD, 8GB RAM
If I had to guess these problems wouldn't exist on the 17". Apple fixed them on the 15" before even releasing the 17" version...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, SSD, 8GB RAM
If you order directly from Apple's online store (as I understand it). Revisions C & D don't have these issues any more. I bought mine from a store in Ottawa, so their stock was rev.C, but I believe right from Apple it should be rev.D. Just be careful - if you buy from an actual store, your store might have a lot of older stock - it might still be rev A or B. Just ask! Or - you can see the serial on the box, and just be sure the serial starts with W8610 (Revision C) or higher - W8611 is rev D, etc...

Bos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 MacBook Pro 2.0GHz
I just got my MBP and the heating and whining are there, for sure. it's very annoying but other than that I love the machine. Just made the switch.

anyhow, is there any way to stop the whining coming from the machine? It seems that whenever I hold down the trackpad button the whining stops but as soon as I let it go, it's there again.

any help or information would be appriciated.

cheers,
Bos

OP
W

wennergen

MBP/G5 cooling

marker227 said:
My 15" whines a little when it's just on. I think thats normal though. Mine also got very hot the first time I started using games on it, but now it's very cool. The whining is still there though. I wonder if that's wrong?

How did you get it to cool? I know a MBP which I'm looking at purchasing in the next 2 weeks is far different from a PMG5, but my G5 takes off all the time like a **** rocket! I know its because it gets hot... What does one do about that?

OP
T

theatrezen33

Well, I just got my first Mac (MacBook Pro 17") and while it is warmer than the surrounding air, I do not feel it is a toaster or anything of the sort. Would I fall asleep with it on my lap? Of course not (cost too #^$%^ much $$$ and with my luck it would fall off!)
I have noticed no whine either.

So far, I am glad I made the switch, I am brand new to Mac and am, of course, adjusting, but so far, so good

robb

OP
M

marker227

wennergen said:
How did you get it to cool? I know a MBP which I'm looking at purchasing in the next 2 weeks is far different from a PMG5, but my G5 takes off all the time like a **** rocket! I know its because it gets hot... What does one do about that?

I'm sorry, but I really don't have an answer for your question. My MBP just started to not heat up as much after I guess breaking it in.

Reaction score
London, Germany, USA, France, Holland, Belgium, Ca
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list but have the latest to oldest macs.
The 17" macbook pri is not any hotter then accepted. Ia m now on my 87th apple laptop. I already knew that the powerbooks were hot to touch and my 15" was not that much more unbearble. But I always use a cooling pad even when using my 17 on my tummy.

If you ahve used macs a lot in the last few years the heatt should really not be that much of an issue. They are warmer but not by that much. MY rooms are always chilled by a/c to an extact temp.

My macbookpro odes not amke any whining noise. I will let you know is this is teh case when my new 17" and 15" turn up with glossy screens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buying One Soon...
static0verdrive said:
If I had to guess these problems wouldn't exist on the 17". Apple fixed them on the 15" before even releasing the 17" version...

I'm thinking that too because right now my 17" MBP is cool and I've been using it constantly all day pretty much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.