Help making decision mac or pc

C

chewey

Hello, I'm needing a computer for college and I'm on a limited budget. I've narrowed down my options to about 4 setups, but maybe I'll get some better suggestions.

I can get :

-1. refurbished iMac G5 1.6GHz/ 256MB/ 80GB/ Combo/ 56K/ 17-inch $750

-2. refurb mac mini core solo $519, mini G4 $600, core duo $700

-3. Refurb eMac 1.42GHz Combo Drive $639

-4. New Intel core duo laptop 1.66ghz t2300 512mb 80gb hdd (5400rpm) dvd/cdrw 56K gbe wlan 15.4inch WinXPP

Basically, my budget is less than $900. All I will use the computer for is typing papers and surfing the web. I've heard the macs are less prone to viruses and breaking down, but having a laptop would also be a plus.

Any help appreciated....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' MacBook 2.2Ghz 1Gb Ram 120Gb ,iMac G3 CRT 600 Mhz 512 Ram 60Gb Broken iBook G4, stolen Nano
you could get a 15'' powerbook g4 at 867mhz or 1ghz on ebay, dont let the Mhz fool you it will be plenty fast and you end up with a really kickass powerbook.

Reaction score
What are you going to school for? You might need specific software which would be something important to consider...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
I must admit, I have a PB G4 @ 1.33Ghz, and it runs as fast as my Rev A iMac G5 1.6 (which also runs at 64 bit). I love my powerbook, as I have to spend 90 per cent of my life in bed. I have a small bedtable for it (using it now) and use the powerbook more than any other Mac.

However, I personally would go for the refurb mac mini core solo $519 that you mention because the hardware is much newer in that system than the others you mention (apart from the duo).

The Mac mini is great, but you will need to add a monitor and keyboard/mouse don't forget, so this ups the price a bit.

OP
Z

zap2

DO you have a Mouse Keyboard and Screen? if you do get a Core Mini, if not go for iMac 1.8Ghz not the 1.6Ghz(the 1.8 will coem to Apple refub sometime soon)

Or wait until Monday and buy a MacBook.. intel , laptop and low price!

OP
Z

zap2

mynameis said:
I thought the price was supposed to go up, and it is already out of his price range.

900, i'm thinking it will be 999 euro(becuase of that Apple MacBook italy add for 999 on google a while back check MacRumors to see what i'm talking about)

I would say wait atleast until the 9th, because a new MacBook might be cheaper refub iBook

OP
C

chewey

mynameis said:
What are you going to school for? You might need specific software which would be something important to consider...
I'm a pre-dent sociology major.

you could get a 15'' powerbook g4 at 867mhz or 1ghz on ebay, dont let the Mhz fool you it will be plenty fast and you end up with a really kickass powerbook.
I'll look on ebay to see how much they are.

DO you have a Mouse Keyboard and Screen? if you do get a Core Mini, if not go for iMac 1.8Ghz not the 1.6Ghz(the 1.8 will coem to Apple refub sometime soon)

Or wait until Monday and buy a MacBook.. intel , laptop and low price!
Yeah, I've got one of those huge monitors, but I guess it'll do. I hope the MacBook $1000 or less....I could come up with 100 extra for one of those.

However, I personally would go for the refurb mac mini core solo $519 that you mention because the hardware is much newer in that system than the others you mention (apart from the duo).

The Mac mini is great, but you will need to add a monitor and keyboard/mouse don't forget, so this ups the price a bit.
Yeah, the mini is looking good especially the price. I guess I could upgrade to an LCD screen later on. I'll just be doing papers/research/surfing so I probably don't need all that much power.

Thanks for all the help...keep it comin'!

OP
C

chewey

e1505.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Inspiron-E...879248585QQcategoryZ80208QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This computer, while not a mac, it seems to be a good deal ($639) considering the dual core.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
If that is all you are doing then basically any mac in that range will be more then enough. I used to do a lot of photoshop/flash/internet work on a 800Mhz eMac G4 and it was more than enough for my needs.

OP
C

chewey

I found a ibook g4 1.33 at Amazon for $870 after rebates. I'm just wondering how much the macbooks will be.

OP
S

simongarfunk

chewey said:
I found a ibook g4 1.33 at Amazon for $870 after rebates. I'm just wondering how much the macbooks will be.

Honestly if you are still trying to decide between a Mac and a PC don't let there be a decision anymore. OS X is far better for a person who needs their computer to just work and not have any problems. I lived on campus for 2 years at my college and I had a Powerbook G4 1.33ghz, 1 GIG ram. i had more than enough power and I enjoyed using my laptop everywhere on campus. For you sake, I would make sure that you have Office 2003:Mac so that way you can email work to your professors and so forth. Bottomline is that there is really no reason to use a PC anymore, unless you don't have a mac with the Intel chip in it. Apple designs their machines and the software that is on them so that you won't have a piece of software that the machine won't run well. In my experience, if your hardware isn't up to par with the software, all that you will preceive will be that operations in programs will take a little bit longer ot complete, but the computer wont crash on you.

I switched over 2 years ago to Mac and it wast he best thing I ever did.

peace,

Jimbo :batman:

OP
C

chewey

Thanks for the advice Jimbo, I'm now about 99% sure I'll be buying a Apple laptop before school starts back. If the macbook is $1000 with the student discout, I'll get that...if not the ibook g4. Does the office 2003 come with the computer? Also, is it difficult to change the ram?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.