Failure to view online video content: "This content is currently unavailable"

Reaction score
Using Firefox on my iMac with El Capitan

Latest Firefox

iMac (20-inche, mid 2007) 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / El C v 10.111.6

Trying to watch direct video from cable channel's web sites, such as MSNBC and Lifetime and Bravo

For instance: Using Firefox (latest) trying to watch "full episode" of Rachel Maddow show on MSNBC. Click on "watch --> Rachel Maddow --> Full episodes: a pop-up asking me to verify my cable subscription service, provides a list. I choose mine. Before about a month ago, it would then bring me to a verification page, another pop-up and it would auto detect my cable service and have a "continue" button, I'd click that and then the page would go away and content would play back on the original page. NOW it brings up the list of cable services, but when I click on mine that page disappears and I'm back to the original page and nothing plays. In other words, the second verification page does not pop-up.

Using Safari that second page DOES pop up, but on the original page - although the video is visible in a paused position, when I click the "play" radio button, a woman's voice intones "This content is currently unavailable" --

I did a google search and found this phrase in a forum from 2013. The solution they discovered, of fixing the time/location preference, did not work for me. I went through preferences - both system and Firefox - and it's all correct. I do not have pop-ups blocked.

Has anyone faced this situation and more importantly, does anyone have a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.