PowerMac G4 CPU Question

Reaction score
Is it possible to upgrade a dual 1.25ghz cpu to a dual 1.5ghz?

Btw, another quick question -- I cleaned my whole computer, and now whenever I turn it on, about 5 minutes later, I can hear the fans going CRAZY, any ideas?

L

lil

No. There are no upgrades available to my knowledge that work with your Mac's 167MHz FSB—they only exist for PowerMac G4s with 100 and 133MHz FSBs.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Gigadesigns had an upgrade for the MDD, about a year ago. But they don't sell it anymore, I guess there wasn't much demand.

What you can do is try to find an original Apple Dual 1.42GHz module, on eBay for example. In that case, you can simply swap the CPU modules, and no problems with firmware, recognition, or whatsoever (can sometimes happen with 3rd party upgrades).
But make sure it comes with it's original heatsink, as it is different from the Dual 1.25 module.

You could buy such a module from Apple, through an Apple repair center, but it's not worth it, as the module alone (without heatsink) costs about as much as a Mac mini Dual Core.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.