Mac Mini Core Duo Purchase Dillema

Reaction score
I searched the forums for my question, but I couldn't quite find something exactly in tune with what I was looking for.

I currently own a 1.8 ghz 20" G5 iMac, and I am considering switching over to a MacTel in the near future. I already own a 12" Powerbook, which negates the need for me to get a MacBook Pro. However, I am really considering a LOADED Mac Mini Core Duo (2gb Ram, Fast processor, huge hd, etc), along with an apple cinema display. I am thinking along these lines because I would like to be able to upgrade the machine every two years or so, which isn't very practical with an iMac, despite the fact that it is faster. When your done with an iMac, you have to get rid of the screen as well. Practically, I realize that many people claim that you can keep top of the line computer hardware for 3-4 years from the purchase date, but we all know that it doesn't work that way when you need to run processor intensive software that is constantly being updated to support newer hardware.

Only problem: I need to be able to run Final Cut Studio to edit and encode movies. Will the loaded mac mini core duo suffice for this task? It certaintly must be at least as fast as my current G5, which works great. Other than Final Cut Pro, I just need to be able to run all the iLife apps, iWork, Office, Safari, iChat, etc etc.

I would like to shy away from just buying another iMac. I really don't want to get stuck getting rid of a perfectly good LCD every two years or so.

Maybe I'm crazy. If you need to smack some sense into me, please feel free to do so. I would really appreciate some feedback on my logic.

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You could wait for the PowerMac replacements later this year. Maybe buy a lower end one of those. It will be a bit more expensive, but will be more powerful and upgradable.

Reaction score
djlee12 said:
I would like to be able to upgrade the machine every two years or so,

You are pretty much planning on maxing out the Mini's upgrade potential right when you buy it.

OP
djlee12
Reaction score
That's always an option. But do you think that the mini would be able to handle Final Cut Studio?

OP
djlee12
Reaction score
To mynameis, I mean that I would replace the machine with a new mini every 1-2 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
The main concern would be system graphics, looking at the specs for my (older) version, the graphics probably wouldn't pass.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I would guess because of price....

OP
djlee12
Reaction score
The way I see it, it wouldn't be that expensive (relatively) to replace the mini every year or so and stay up to date in terms of hardware. Why throw out a perfectly functional screen (especially one so large) every time you want to upgrade your hardware? If I got an iMac, I would get the 20". I've been looking at an apple cinema display, and the way I see it, it would be more cost effective to upgrade only what I need to. The screen would last much longer than the mini.

This is just my two cents. But if the mini can't run FCS, then this plan won't work for me.

I really appreciate all the feedback so far! Thanks!

Reaction score
A maxed out mini w/cinema display is expensive, and I couldn't see them holding their value as well as the iMac might.

You'll end up spending more for the mini and getting less performance...

OP
djlee12
Reaction score
I guess I could always wait and see what types of specs the new PowerMacs (or whatever they will be called) will offer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.