IPad Pro 10 and SD card reader

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MacBook Pro, 16gig men. 1T SSD
I cannot transfer videos from sd card to iPad 10. Previous videos from sd card open and then stop immediately fro playing.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
"iPad Pro 10"?? What is this device and no iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod) has ever has a SD card natively. You might have a third party thing that provides this interface..

Explain in greater detail what you are doing and what your setup is..

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Threads merged - Please do not create multiple threads on the same subject

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"iPad Pro 10"?? What is this device and no iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod) has ever has a SD card natively. You might have a third party thing that provides this interface..

Explain in greater detail what you are doing and what your setup is..

You haven’t heard of the IPad Pro 10? It’s running iOS 11.0.2. It used to transfer photos and 10 second videos from my Trail Cam (nature shots), and the play them. Now it won’t even show them import. My IPad 2 had no problem with this.

Last edited:
OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As you can see forget how to use the forums, I’m so frustrated with this problem, I’ve tried everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I wonder if it's an MFi issue. Which adapter are you using?

I've tried using the Apple SD to lightning adapter on an iPad Pro 12.9 (gen 2 iOS 11.0.2) and that's bringing video and stills across OK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I suspect it's because you have updated to iOS 11.0.2. I used a third party SD card reader successfully with my iPad mini 2 until two years ago when whatever new iOS came out then made it incompatible. I heard of other people experiencing the same failure. I considered buying an Apple SD card reader but they had an awful reputation so I got a wifi SD card instead, then this year a wifi camera. There's an old thread on here about the problems I had.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sd adapter

I wonder if it's an MFi issue. Which adapter are you using?

I've tried using the Apple SD to lightning adapter on an iPad Pro 12.9 (gen 2 iOS 11.0.2) and that's bringing video and stills across OK.

My SD Card to lightning, is a genuine Apple adapter. Should i try the newer lightning to usb3, with lighting power slot? I'm going to Italy next week and I just wanted use my iPad 10.5, to transfer photos and some video from my Sony A65. I could leave the MacPro home.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suspect it's because you have updated to iOS 11.0.2. I used a third party SD card reader successfully with my iPad mini 2 until two years ago when whatever new iOS came out then made it incompatible. I heard of other people experiencing the same failure. I considered buying an Apple SD card reader but they had an awful reputation so I got a wifi SD card instead, then this year a wifi camera. There's an old thread on here about the problems I had.

Thank you Sue

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That Amazon Trail Cam adapter is great, looks like that would be the answer, except my iPad 10.5 won't recognize the videos from the Sony Camera, using a different SD card.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dennis, I'm going to run up to Best Buy and see if I can get the USB 3 to lightning with the power port. I'll let you know how I make out.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
of course Best Buy didn't have it. I hate to order from Amazon because it could be a knock off. I'll keep you all posted, Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I’m sure you’ve tried but just in case:
Have you done a hard restart?
Tried another SD card?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I’m sure you’ve tried but just in case:
Have you done a hard restart?
Tried another SD card?

I have tried both those suggestions. I just attached my Sony A65 to my MacPro by the usb port, and photos and videos open no problem. I then I connected my iPad 2 adapter to usb, connected that to a lightning port adapter, the connected it to my iPad 10.5. Results, the same, can download all photos, but does not show any video to be downloaded. I guess the last resort is the newer usb3 to lightning, with power slot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.