How Can I OBLITERATE All Traces Of A Program?

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong board. It feels like an O/S question, so hope it's ok...

A while ago I installed Little Snitch. Didn't like it and uninstalled it. I think I used App Zapper to get rid of it. As far as I can see, there's no trace of it left and it's not in my Login items, but everytime I start my Mac up I get the popup below (see screen grab) stating Not supported OS X version - my Os X is too new for Little Snitch.

I click ok and thats that, but it's just incredibly annoying to have this popup everytime I start when I just want this program gone. How can I get rid of this permanently? Any ideas??

Thanks

T

Little-Snitch-Grab.jpg

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Todd

There must be a few bits & pieces of Little Snitch left on your Mac.

The only way I can think of to find these nuisances and so delete them, is to use an app called Find Any File (FAF).

Have a read at the developer's site: http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

It makes good reading on its own, as it explains what all the common search engines do on your Mac, including Spotlight. The problem is that these don't search the hidden files which, I would say, you need.

FAF used to be free but I think it is now pay-for; so it's up to you whether the cost is justified. If you decided to purchase, you would only need to enter "Little Snitch" in the search window; then delete them.

I have to declare that I have no financial or any other interest in this company or its app. My suggestion is based on personal experience only.

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi Ian, thanks so much for this. I really appreciate the help, will take a look at this, sounds useful in any case...

Best

T

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi Todd

There must be a few bits & pieces of Little Snitch left on your Mac.

The only way I can think of to find these nuisances and so delete them, is to use an app called Find Any File (FAF).

Have a read at the developer's site: http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

It makes good reading on its own, as it explains what all the common search engines do on your Mac, including Spotlight. The problem is that these don't search the hidden files which, I would say, you need.

FAF used to be free but I think it is now pay-for; so it's up to you whether the cost is justified. If you decided to purchase, you would only need to enter "Little Snitch" in the search window; then delete them.

I have to declare that I have no financial or any other interest in this company or its app. My suggestion is based on personal experience only.

Ian

I think my thanks went into the wrong place, so not sure you would've seen it, so in case, thanks again for the help!

Best

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
I've been using an app (that doesn't itself actually install) to remove other installed apps... it's called AppCleaner. I've had reasonably good results from it on multiple Mac systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
@Ember1205, is this the AppCleaner available in the App Store, or the original from FreeMacSoft?

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

I used to, and still, use the original. I tried the version in the App Store, because I thought it was a “Newer” version, but, it is from a different developer, and it was horrible. Just as an FYI.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
App Store apps would need to be "installed", so that's definitely not something I have been using. The original downloaded version is what I have. Glad you added the clarification.

M

MacInWin

I would recommend avoiding places that aggregate installers. I cannot speak directly to freemacsoft.net, but others in that kind "bundle" other crapware with their download that lead to malware issues later on. I go either to the Mac App store or to the developer directly, never to a middleman.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
They are the developer.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I have the original App Cleaner and continue to use it without difficulty.

But App Cleaner or its like is for uninstalling an app; and the OP already uninstalled Little Snitch and is left with remnants which intrude. No help now from App Cleaner or similar. Needs to seek out the bits left behind which FAF would do.

Ian

M

MacInWin

I have the original App Cleaner and continue to use it without difficulty.

But App Cleaner or its like is for uninstalling an app; and the OP already uninstalled Little Snitch and is left with remnants which intrude. No help now from App Cleaner or similar. Needs to seek out the bits left behind which FAF would do.

Ian
On way to use AppCleaner to clean up from Little snitch is to reinstall LS and then use AppCleaner to get rid of it all. Not all files from applications are conveniently named with the app name so FAF won't see them.

BTW, I don't like FAF's interface. I prefer EasyFind. Both do a good job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On way to use AppCleaner to clean up from Little snitch is to reinstall LS and then use AppCleaner to get rid of it all. Not all files from applications are conveniently named with the app name so FAF won't see them.

This is exactly what I was thinking, too.

OP
T
Reaction score

MacInWin, thank you so much for the suggestion. I reinstalled Little Snitch and read somewhere that you should not use any 3rd party tools, but instead use the Little Snitch Uninstaller. So I reinstalled it, and used the LS uninstaller and it's FINALLY GONE. I'm so happy! Thans MacInWin and everybody else for all their suggestions and help. Truly grateful to you guys. T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 11 Mac Mini, 2.5Gh i5, 16 GB Ram, 500 Gb SSD Sys disk, 1 Tb Data disk
If you are good at Terminal and Linux, you might be able to find it, as invisibles are easily seen. I'm not that good but my son got rid of some such crap on one of my machines that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are good at Terminal and Linux, you might be able to find it, as invisibles are easily seen. I'm not that good but my son got rid of some such crap on one of my machines that way.

But if you're NOT comfortable and competent, stay away. One wrong keystroke and your system is toast. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Keep well away from Terminal as Ember suggests unless you are very competent in it.

To uninstall use (1) Uninstall Program (2) AppCleaner (3) Drag to Trash. In that order.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.