Two iPads one iMac

Reaction score
My wife and I both have an iPad.
We have an iMac but up to now it has been 100% mine.
iTunes on it is therefore full of my music/books/mags etc.
I have some mags in my download folder that I would like to put on my wifes iPad but whenever I plug into the iMac it goes to my iPad content and a message asks if I want to restore from my iPad or treat as new.
I want neither, I just want to transfer the pdf magazine files from the download folder to my wifes iPad.
For the life of me I cannot figure out how I can do it.
Not concerned with syncing etc.
Can anyone help or am I asking too much ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have some mags in my download folder that I would like to put on my wifes iPad but whenever I plug into the iMac it goes to my iPad content and a message asks if I want to restore from my iPad or treat as new.
I want neither, I just want to transfer the pdf magazine files from the download folder to my wifes iPad.

Does anything in this Apple document help?:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12118?locale=en_US

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
It is “new” to the Mac, so new wouldn’t change anything on the device. But, if you set up iCloud Family Sharing, you wpuldn’t Need to connect it to your Mac, she could just start enjoying your purchases.

OP
C
Reaction score
I had a look at Family Sharing but its not for me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Late to the party I'm afraid, but a few more options:
  • If these are purchases have your wife log into the App Store (on her iPad) with your Apple ID but continue to use her ID for iCloud et al. This way you can share any purchased content.
  • If these are purchases but simply PDFs you've acquired and just copied into iBooks etc you can AirDrop them between devices as they aren't DRM protected.
  • If you log out of iTunes and you wife logs in with her Apple ID it shouldn't see it as 'new' because it's a recognised device on her account. Then you can manually drag content into Books etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.