Suddenly running really slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (21.5-inch, 2017) MacOS v 10.13.3
Hope this is the right place to ask this.

I am running the latest Sierra version on a miniMac with 8 g of memory.
For some reason I cannot figure out, for the last week or so the computer is really slow opening apps. For instance, Safari is taking 1 minute +/- to open.

Anyone has an idea on this?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 9.53.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 9.53.41 AM.png

M

MacInWin

The first thing that comes to mind is that the Hard drive is starting to fail. And if that's it, you will need a backup to get it restored, so I hope you are making backups regularly.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In addition to what Jake mentioned. Check to see how full the hard drive is. A near full HD will slow things down.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The first thing that comes to mind is that the Hard drive is starting to fail. And if that's it, you will need a backup to get it restored, so I hope you are making backups regularly.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my problem. I am not real sure how you do what you suggest. I have my computer backed up to an external drive using Time Machine. I am guessing I just have to google "restore hard drive" to see what to do.

Thanks again.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In addition to what Jake mentioned. Check to see how full the hard drive is. A near full HD will slow things down.

- Nick

Thanks for the reply. I will see how to check my HD. Maybe Utilities?

M

MacInWin

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my problem. I am not real sure how you do what you suggest. I have my computer backed up to an external drive using Time Machine. I am guessing I just have to google "restore hard drive" to see what to do.

Thanks again.
I meant that if (when) that drive fails you will need to get a new one, and then to restore from the backup. Restoring a failing drive won't help the failing drive at all. Failures are usually hardware and permanent.

M

MacInWin

Thanks for the reply. I will see how to check my HD. Maybe Utilities?
Disk Utility can check the drive and do some repair, but it won't always uncover pending failures. Some functions are performed by the drive hardware itself, like retries of read/write operations. All DU checks for is ultimate success, not the number of tries it took, so if a drive is marginal and each read/write has to be repeated multiple times before succeeding, the DU check will come back as successful, which is true because it did succeed, but in fact the drive is failing because it took so many retries. If the drive is S.M.A.R.T. enabled, a SMART checker may be able to give you some idea of performance.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Disk Utility can check the drive and do some repair, but it won't always uncover pending failures. Some functions are performed by the drive hardware itself, like retries of read/write operations. All DU checks for is ultimate success, not the number of tries it took, so if a drive is marginal and each read/write has to be repeated multiple times before succeeding, the DU check will come back as successful, which is true because it did succeed, but in fact the drive is failing because it took so many retries. If the drive is S.M.A.R.T. enabled, a SMART checker may be able to give you some idea of performance.

OK. Got it. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.