problems with running disk utility in 10.3

K

kyrre

I'm trying to run the "verify disk permissions" under disk utility, since this seems like a good thing to do, and maybe repair any faults if there are any (I have been experiencing som wierd crashes lately)..

but it just runs to about 40% and then it stops, and says that it cant continue (not any reason) and to try later. and then I either quit or start over again - but if I try again, same thing always happends..

what can I do to solve this? and is it crucial to verify/repair disk permissions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Did you delete anything in your previous receipts folder? This will cause issues since previous receipts are what DU uses to verify permissions.

Yes,...repairing permissions is 100% necessary.

OP
K

kyrre

MacsWork said:
Did you delete anything in your previous receipts folder? This will cause issues since previous receipts are what DU uses to verify permissions.

Yes,...repairing permissions is 100% necessary.

Uhm, well, I'm actually not quite sure where the Reciepts-folder is, so no, I probably haven't.. Any thing I can do manually to correct this, any settings in DU or something? Thanks for the advice so far.. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Try booting to your OS Install CD/DVD. You can run DU right from the CD/DVD. You might have better luck that way.

OP
K

kyrre

MacsWork said:
Try booting to your OS Install CD/DVD. You can run DU right from the CD/DVD. You might have better luck that way.

oh yes, now it all worked very nicely. Thanks so much for the hints! :dive:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.