Antivius,firewall,spyware

Reaction score
hello all i hope to get my mini mac next week

what free antivirus,firewall,spyware programs are there?

on my windoze pc i use avast,zone alarm,ad aware se
can i use these on the mac?
or do i need to buy some ie norton

thanks for your time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
basically as of right now macs are imune to viruses, spyware, and malware....there is a change that this may change sometime if macs become popular enough for people to write code for them.

you can pick up norton antivirus if you would like if you are networked with pc's. macs can have viruses on them but nothing will happen. send a file to your pc with teh virus on it and you just sent yourself a virus.

the built in firewall is a great thing in osx, it is in your system preferences.

welcome to the wonderful world of macs ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
I guess anti-virus on a mac atm is just like another to free up space on your HD since these viruses have no effect but are there!

OP
Reaction score
Cool thanks for that cannot wait to get it hope they got it in stock in the shop next friday is PAYDAY

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
makwanad said:
I guess anti-virus on a mac atm is just like another to free up space on your HD since these viruses have no effect but are there!

oo, im sorry if it sounded like that but your mac is not infested with viruses and i dont think you will free up a lot of room....well, at least i dont think so
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
No way I'm not saying it is infested, but if it did have a virus sent to you by a windows user. im guessing it would be there but just not do anything to harm the mac. Also when is say free up space I mean like a few kb or something daft like that...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you search this site, you will find many discussions on this subject.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.