FaceTime video mode's audio is "muted" one direction

Reaction score
FaceTime video mode's audio is "muted" one direction [Solved]

The Setting: Mac8,1 24" 3.06 El Capitan on 1000/100 Mb Ethernet ... connected to dlink router and cable Internet modem at this end, and a router through an Ooma Telo to a cable Internet modem at the other end.

The Problem: FaceTime Audio mode works fine, with apparently normal audio in both directions. However, Video mode, which has excellent video both ways, and normal audio outbound from here and received there, has no audio (or apparently muted or very, very low volume audio) coming in from there to here.

Yes, I will try to connect with another iMac user, but at the moment I do not know any. Might passing through the Ooma Telo be the problem, or does that configuration work for others?

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Moved your thread/question to its own thread. The other thread was 3 years old...and probably not the best place to tag onto.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks, Gary

Update: After trying several iMacs at my end, and two at the other end, and then eliminating the Ooma Telo (between the cable modem and the router) at the other end, and finding that even Audio mode no longer passed any significant audio ...
I discovered the cause of the problem.

The Cause: To keep track of the different features on each iMac, someone (yes, me) put a sticker on the top center of the aluminium frame. On the older plastic frames, the camera and the microphone were in the front face of the iMac, but with the metal-frame models, there are tiny (almost invisible) holes on the top of the frame (yes, right in the center). The stickers were covering these tiny microphone holes.

The Cure: Move the stickers about 2 inches to the left, uncovering the microphone holes.

The Result: The audio now goes through boldly both ways ... quite splendidly.

Cheers to all, Gary

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Nice bit of troubleshooting there. I'd never have thought of that as a possibility.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That might be what's known as "Sticker Shock". LOL.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.