Mac Pro 2008 Loficboard Repair, Might need a Pro?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So Im new to circuit board work. I recently began having my computer freeze to a black or white screen after it was on for anywhere from 2 to 45 minutes. After taking my tower apart I saw that there was much more build up in the fans and heat sink area than there was before and part of the circuit board had fallen off. ( I apologize but I dont know what the piece is called) The piece is black and has risers on it. Its the 1st Picture attached. It is supposed to be what I believe Thermal Pasted on and then clipped on the Logicboard via 2 arch type circuits. The 2nd picture attached is where it connects. The 3rd and 4th pictures are the circled in red where I believe it clips. My question is from looking at the pictures is it possible to just buy the replacement arch circuit, install it and then replace the black rectangle with thermal paste and then problem solved? Or do I need to purchase an entirely new logicboard and go from there? Thank you!
1. 20171002_225444.jpg
2. 20171002_225454.jpg
3. Screenshot_20171002-213020.jpg
4. Screenshot_20171002-213123.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That part is a cooling heat sink. Yes it needs to be reattached...yes thermal paste needs to be applied first...yes an over-heating problem in this area is what's causing the freez-ups.

You didn't say exactly...but is one or more of the little hooks that the heatsink clips attach to missing/broken. From what I can see in the photos...it looks like one is missing. These things usually don't just fall off...more than likely the computer was dropped (or bumped very hard)...and it broke off due to the sudden shock.

On the positive side...these little hooks on the logic board have absolutely nothing to do with the computer circuitry...they are just little loops of metal wire soldered onto the logic board for the heatsink retaining clips to attach to. If it were me...I would try to repair things by carefully soldering a replacement wire loop back onto the logic board (making sure it looks just like the remaining one). If this is something you are not comfortable with...try finding a computer repair person that's good with soldering.

From what I can see in the photos...the computer is really dirty.:( Give it a good cleaning with a can of compressed air...and it will be much happier!;)

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
Thank you so much Nick! Thats exactly correct the clip came out, I just dont know when it could of happened the computer has sat in the same spot for 3 years. I didnt know the fan area came apart and needed cleaning I usually take the side off and air clean that and the RAM area. Doing a full clean now. Im good with soldering but finding that Anchor Clip has been very difficult to find anywhere but online. You mentioned any type of metal clip could be fashioned in a sense? In order to do that Ill have to remove the entire Logicboard right? Thank you again!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mentioned any type of metal clip could be fashioned in a sense?

Be creative.;) Take a close look at the other clip that remains...produce a duplicate of it...then solder it in. Maybe take a small piece of a paperclip (trim it to the correct length & bend it into the correct shape). If a paperclip is too thick in diameter...try to find something else. Not sure where you are located in the world...but maybe visit a hardware store or home renovation store (like Home Depot or Lowe's here in the U.S.).

In order to do that Ill have to remove the entire Logicboard right?

Absolutely...you need access to both sides of the logic board. If you're not familiar with this...go to ifixit.com for the procedure.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
I did it!!! Thank you Nick! Very helpful! Its back up and running great and Im feeling very proud of myself for getting through it with your assistance! ^_^ Thanks a million!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow...that was fast...congrats!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.