Re-pairing with a new iPhone

M

MacInWin

I upgraded to an iPhone 8, which required me to re-pair the watch. I was surprised that the only way Apple provided to do that was to reset the  Watch completely and pair it as a new device to the new iPhone. That requirement then meant that all the apps had to be reinstalled on the watch, and every card registered with Apple Pay had to be re-registered. The process tore through my battery pretty hard, so having the watch on the charging puck is a good idea. And ALL the apps reinstalled, even ones I didn't have on the watch before the reset/re-pair, which was strange because although it didn't seem to know what had been installed, it did remember some of the data. And of course, all the BT devices needed to be re-paired to the  Watch after the reset, too. C'mon, Apple, let's make the re-pair process a bit less tedious!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Having been through that more than once - I agree. It is tedious and long. One thing I am thankful for is my credit card company has made setting it up much easier. The first time I had to call them and explain what I was wanting - to several people. Kinda like what I am going through now with my S3 and getting the cellular service set up. :Smirk:

Lisa

OP
M

MacInWin

Yeah, the full saga is over herel if you want to read it all. The re-pairing is a real PITA and I think Apple needs to rethink it a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Not Apple's fault but since updating maps on my built-in TomTom satnav, it has decided to offer instructions, though thankfully not directions, in German so I haven't a clue how to pair my iPhone7 to the car. Had it been French (car is a Renault...) I may have understood, both ways.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.