Podcast apps playing sound on phone instead of watch

Reaction score
I’m trying to listen to podcasts using my Apple Watch 2 and Bluetooth headphones (BlueAnt Pump). Music plays fine and so does the sound from the Nike run club app.

When I try to use Overcast or Watch Player, the sound comes out on my phone rather than the headphones. I’ve tried turning off showing the app on my watch and turning it back on. That didn’t work. I tried backing everything up and restarting it (recommended by Apple). That didn’t work. I make sure the headphones are connected to the watch before starting. I’ve also tried putting my phone in airplane mode or even turning it off. Nothing is working.

Please help! I’d really like to listen to podcasts without taking my phone with! Thanks.

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have BT buds, so I cannot test, but I seem to recall that the developer of Overcast had to remove the feature of downloading the podcast to the  Watch because of some change Apple made in watchOS3. I say that because I take it you want to be able to listen to podcasts without the iPhone nearby, but that doesn't work if the podcast isn't on the  Watch.

As for playing through the watch and not the iPhone, about all I can suggest is to go to the Settings on the watch, then bluetooth and select the headphones to connect. As I said, I don't have BT buds to test for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.