confusion abounds!

Reaction score
I have an early 2008 Mac Pro - 3,1 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 56 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

I am looking at PCIe cards to put in slot 2 to internally upgrade my drive bays to sata3(knowing i will be getting around 5GB/s - there seems to be an abundance of these cards, a very confusing abundance - it is also interesting that i can't find much info on forums where people are even discussing the use of these cards, let alone which ones may serve the needs of a person primarily concerned with a performance boot on this machine which is used exclusively for photoshop and etc. for still photographic image processing.
So I am wondering if any photoshop users or video editors out there have made this sort of upgrade to their sata 2 systems and which cards are ranked among the best. I am not well-versed with the interior of my computer nor with the terms and parts in there either. Since there doesn't seem to be much discussion about this way of upgrade, I wonder if many Mac Pro user's out there are using those PCIe cards. I have no idea how to make the switch if i got a card, and whether or not mini-sas is best --- etc, etc. - I just know i need to get some more processing speed and it seems like the Sata 2 to Sata 3 cards would be great, especial with a combo of external USB 3.0 and east ports. I have a OWC mercury accelsior card with 120 gb - it is a brand new replacement for one that never worked and I think it may have been ok for its time, but the external Sata ports are not port multiplier - and for this card to be at all useful i would have to buy more blades, but i am reluctant to use my only x16 slot for this card without the multiplier. I have read about the auto tiering idea, but that seems to just be glorified fusion disks, which don't seem to be much in favor anymore - I am thinking i could speed things up with one of the cards discussed above by putting sata3 SSD,s in the internal bays, up to a possibility of 8 and starting adding the sata3 ssd's as my budget allowed.
Or would it be wiser to get a very good PCIe card with attached SSD's and a variety of ports and put sata 2 SSd's in the internal bays?
Another thing I was wondering about - probably naively since i haven't seen any bodydiscuss this or mentioned in any literature - are the x1 to x16 riser adapters that bitcoin miners use for extra graphic cards - could one of these be used with a PCIe card that could support sata3 SSD's either internally or externally. I realize there is something like a 300 watt power limitation with this computer.
But all in all my financial situation is not in a place where i could buy a better machine and upgrade that - i am pretty much married to this early 2008 and I am looking for a way to see less wait time and less of the spinning beach ball. I have been back and forth about what to do for over a year and i just keep finding more cards, raisers and whatever and i don't know which way to go - and if any body can help me out here i would greatly appreciate - thanks for reading this and for bearing with my lack of expertise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.