Mac OS Install CD for iMac G3

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have recently acquired an iMac G3. It's blueberry tray-loading model with a 333mhz processor, 6GB hard drive and 32MB of RAM (which I am planning to bump up to at least 64MB).

The problem, however, is that the computer won't boot. When I got it and turned it on, the screen displayed a folder with a question mark, then a happy Mac face - this repeated infinitely.

Initially, I thought the hard drive might have been dead, so I put it in a Windows 98 machine and reformatted and deleted the partitions. This yielded no errors, so I think that the hard drive is fine.

When I put the drive back in the machine, it displayed the same images as before, then went to a picture of an original Macintosh, followed by a floppy disk with a flashing question mark. I believe this to mean that it wants the OS installed.

I have burned countless different copies of Mac OSes on CDs, from Mac OS 8.6 to OS X 10.2. These images have been burned with both IMGburn and Transmac on Windows 10 - I don't have access to any other Mac's.

Is anybody able to either provide me with a location to obtain a working disc image and a proven method to make the disc with Windows?

Alternatively, would anybody be willing to burn a working disc for me and mail it or loan me an original disc? I'll be happy to transfer money into your PayPal account to cover shipping costs and compensate you for your time.

I've always been a Windows guy and don't really know what else to try - my Mac experience is quite limited.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That is a 1999 iMac which came in a five colours, all called after fruit, hence the name 'Five Flavours' and yours is known as 'Blueberry' and was the last of the tray loader iMacs.

The best operating system will be OS 9.2, which can be upgraded to OS 9.2.2. As far as OS X, you can install Panther OS X.3.9 but nmote you do need a firmware update to install OS X. The machine will handle up to 512MB of memory, so suggest looking at auction sites for more than your anticipated 64MB. It will be as slow as a wet week. Transmac will NOT work and you need to get on to eBay amnd find a full retail CD of OS 9.2. You cannot make the disc with Windows.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-O...d=152683763931&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

Also on eBay you will find little gems such as Office 2004 for about $10-20.

OP
A
Reaction score
I was hoping that I could just burn my own CD.

I have no issue with purchasing a CD, but unfortunately they are harder to obtain in Australia and tend to be over priced.

The link above does not specify shipping to Australia, but I have contacted the seller. Hopefully they will ship here, as the CD is a reasonable price. I don't want to spend more than $50 on an OS CD, especially since I got the iMac for $20.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I was hoping that I could just burn my own CD.

It should work on the condition that the original source is the correct compatible one for that iMac model.

Have you called the Aussie Apple Customer Service assuming there is one and see what they can supply.

- Patrick
======

OP
A
Reaction score
I called the Apple Australia Customer Service line and spoke to a really helpful guy.

He told me that they can sell me an OS disc and have it posted to me for a total of $31, which sounds pretty reasonable to me, especially considering that second hand discs on eBay are often more than that.

He also said that if I preferred I can go to a Genius Bar at an Apple Store and they'll install the OS for me free of charge and I won't need to purchase a disc, as the Genius Bar has 'internal use' discs that they use instead.

I thought that he must have misunderstood me, so I clarified with him that the machine is 18 years old. Apparently the Genius Bar is happy to help with vintage software-related issues. They won't help with hardware issues though, as the components used in the computer are long out of production.

He's booked me in for a Genius Bar appointment at my local store on Monday. Can't wait to see the reactions I get taking it into the Apple Store.

The guy on the phone was certain that they can help me, but I think it's quite possible that the Geniuses will say otherwise. It's worth a try though.

I'll post back on Monday and let you know how it went.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I called the Apple Australia Customer Service line and spoke to a really helpful guy.

That sure sounds like it was a pretty helpful suggestion and a successful money saving call, let alone the end of some frustration and waste of unsuccessful burning time.

BTW: That iMac "Unofficially" can support 512 MB of RAM (two 256 MB modules).
See more details here: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_333.html

BTW 2: To remove/install RAM in those iMacs, you can access the RAM slot via the removable oval cover in the back and use one of those cheap three-claw pickup tools rather than removing half the case which is the normal suggestion. And if you ever do that, avoid touching the display video tube at its back neck — the high voltage that hides out there can KILL YOU!!!

BTW 3: That RAM can be expensive and not all places can supply it, but if you get stuck, our local RAM expert can, and he can ship:
512 Mb kit (2x256) Certified 78123-1x2 $106.00.
http://canadaram.com/apple_imac_g3.htm

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And if you ever do that, avoid touching the display video tube at its back neck — the high voltage that hides out there can KILL YOU!!!

That reminds me when I was doing part time home entertainment repairs (TVs mostly) in my spare time while working for the govt. We had a special tool which looked like a hook on an insulated stick with a coiled wire and alligator clip on the other end. We would attach the clip to a ground and insert the hook to the second anode of the CRT to discharge it first before doing any work around it. Of course there were times when I would forget and ouch.... Fortunately not much current flows thru there but the shock is enough to make your hair stand on end!

OP
A
Reaction score
you can access the RAM slot via the removable oval cover in the back

My model does not have any removable cover like that, it's like the one in this guide: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+G3+Model+M4984+RAM+Replacement/1500

The RAM is mounted on top of the motherboard, so unfortunately it necessary to slide out the entire motherboard from the computer housing. I think the removable oval cover came in later revisions?

avoid touching the display video tube at its back neck

I have already pulled the motherboard tray out to re-align the disc drive (it was dislodged and therefore couldn't open) and can confirm that there is a metal shield screwed in place, blocking access to the CRT tube. Of course this can be unscrewed and removed, but I don't really want to have my "hair stand on end"!

I found an eBay seller with a listing for a 128MB stick and free postage for less than $15, so I've bought that. It'd be awesome to have 512MB, but I don't really need that much to run Mac OS 9. If I need to I can always buy more RAM later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My model does not have any removable cover like that, it's like the one in this guide: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+G3...placement/1500

The RAM is mounted on top of the motherboard, so unfortunately it necessary to slide out the entire motherboard from the computer housing. I think the removable oval cover came in later revisions?

OK, so yours has removable innards, which made things a bit easier, but still, using my method, you don't even have to pull to that part of its innards.

Just quicker and easier if you have and use the right tools.

PS: If that model is an optical slot load iMac, make sure there are no sharp edges and you may have to file thing down a bit and get them smoothed off. Otherwise you'll end up scratching and damaging any CD/DVD.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
A
Reaction score
So I lugged the iMac to the Apple Store today. Seeing some of the reactions of people in the store was quite funny.

Here is a picture of it sitting happily at the Genius Bar:

20170925_115428.jpg

Just to clarify - there is nothing wrong with the screen, it's just how it looks with the camera.

After some staff members took photos of the machine, they tried to work out what they could do to help. Contrary to what the guy said on the phone a couple of days ago, the oldest operating system that they can offer me is OS X 10.6, which is too modern for any of the G3 iMac models. Although this is unfortunate, it's kind of the response I was expecting anyway.

Afterwards I went on eBay and found a brand new copy of Mac OS X 10.0 for a really good price and cheap shipping to Australia. I made certain that it is a 'generic' installation disc and not a recovery/upgrade/machine-specific version. It should arrive in 2-4 weeks.

I would of preferred to get Mac OS 9, but all of the sellers on eBay quoted me $20-$30 shipping. I think that there is an option to use OS 9 inside of 10.0 anyway?

OS X looks like it requires a lot more RAM, so I might buy another 128MB stick from the same seller as before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that there is an option to use OS 9 inside of 10.0 anyway?

If I recall correctly, that was called and referred to as "Classic Mode", but I can't recall if OS System 9.x had to be installed separately or not, but I think so:
MacOS 9 Support: Boot/Classic Mode Windows Support: Emulation Only
Details:
This model is capable of booting in Mac OS 9 and using Mac OS 9 applications within the Mac OS X "Classic" environment.

That "$20-$30 shipping" cost seemed a bit much until I checked with Canada Post and it would cost about $10.00cdn to send a DVD in a case via the cheapest Express Post method. I keep forgetting that Aussieland really is a long way from even here.

BTW: From that photo, that iMac sure looks like it's an original and first iMac model, the Bondi blue iMac, not a blueberry tray-loading model. But that won't change the OS requirements. ;D

Apple iMac G3/233 Original - Bondi (Rev. A & B) Specs
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_ab.html

Apple iMac G3/333 (Fruit Colors) Specs
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_333.html

(PS: if you get really stuck for an older OS you could PM me.) O:)

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I trust it is not OS X 10.0 which was known as Cheetah and was a trial release and updated on an almost weekly basis, similar to beta versions of OS X today. Maybe updates are nio longer available.

If the iMac has not previously run OS X remember what I advised about the firmware. There appears to be some doubt if the tray loaders need the updater as many of the old Apple archives have been pulled.

This may help:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_10.0

http://lowendmac.com/1998/imac-rev-b/

Last edited:
OP
A
Reaction score
I can't recall if OS System 9.x had to be installed separately or not, but I think so

So does this mean that I can run OS 9 programs? I just can't boot into OS 9?

I keep forgetting that Aussieland really is a long way from even here.

Yes, and many things here are delightfully expensive because of it.

that iMac sure looks like it's an original and first iMac model

I wasn't exactly sure which model it was, but I thought it was a G3/333 'Fruit Colours' model because of the '333' in the bottom-left corner of the serial number sticker (the number could be unrelated though, I just took a guess).

20170926_085236.jpg

I trust it is not OS X 10.0

The eBay listing says its OS X 10.0.3. Does the '.3' make a difference?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So does this mean that I can run OS 9 programs? I just can't boot into OS 9?

This is one reason why google or any good web search can be your helpful friend and start with a search, such as:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=PpTJWbDGC9Te8Aevmrb4Aw

And that produces:
You need an OS 9 install CD to install and use the Classic environment.

The Classic environment never shipped with any OS X install CD or DVD. It's not an optional install that's included with OS X, it's a technology to allow those with a need for Classic applications to run them in OS X.

You'll know if Classic is installed if a Classic preference pane shows up in your System Preferences.
https://macosx.com/threads/classic-in-mac-os-x.320777/

PS: Even if you do get OS System 9.x installed, a lot of the good apps are not readily available, if at all. Just a sad fact these days I'm afraid… :[

- Patrick
======

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok then, I wasn't sure because I have read conflicting things from different websites.

I'll see how the machine goes with the disc I bought first, but I'll keep an eye out for a Mac OS 9 CD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
A
Reaction score
I have already attempted to burn the image in the first Google result with imgburn on Windows 10.

It actually booted, but then came up with an error. I can try and reproduce the error if you like (I haven't thrown the disc out yet).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It actually booted, but then came up with an error. I can try and reproduce the error if you like (I haven't thrown the disc out yet).

There is of course a possibility that that old iMac is quite sick and has some drastic problems, but your description usually indicates software OS problems:
When I got it and turned it on, the screen displayed a folder with a question mark, then a happy Mac face - this repeated infinitely.

Do you have someone fairly close or a Mac tech that has a good known compatible boot drive/disk you/they could try??

- Patrick
======

OP
A
Reaction score
There is of course a possibility that that old iMac is quite sick and has some drastic problems, but your description usually indicates software OS problems

While that is a possibility, I think (and hope) it's most likely related to the discs that I burned.

Do you have someone fairly close or a Mac tech that has a good known compatible boot drive/disk you/they could try?

I know heaps of people in IT, but they don't really work with Macs (only PCs), so I doubt they'd have any discs. As for someone fairly close, I know a small number of people that have Macs, but they are on their first, brand new Mac and wouldn't have any compatible items.

I pulled the hard drive out and put it in a Windows 98 PC and did some testing on it. No issues appeared so I think the hard drive is fine, it's just been wiped (maybe to protect the data of a previous owner?).

As mentioned previously, I have purchased an official install disc, so I'll see if I can get the OS installed with that. It's tracking number indicates that it is in LA, so I'll have to wait a while before it arrives in Sydney.

If it does not work with the official disc I'll go through the process of trying it with different hard drives, optical drives etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.