Scams that go to a blank website but actually use malware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I recently watched a TV programme about these. I know Macs can't be infected by viruses but how about these e-mail scams where you click on a link and later find that all your files have been encrypted and can only be released if you pay?

I inadvertently clicked on one just now, hence the question, although no blackmail messages so far. Fortunately I not only back up to my permanently connected Time Capsule but also to a Time Machine which I disconnect after a backup, something I would recommend to anyone.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
A website alone cannot encrypt your machine. The recent attacks were not done through a website but rather the Find My Mac/Phone feature on iCloud. Website scams usually fall into the category of phishing attacks where they get you to enter your login credentials for a bank or something and then steal your money..and also create identities with your info and open new accounts and ruin your credit..

When it comes to email links, you're almost better of not clicking on any of them unless you are ABSOLUTELY certain that the email sent to you was from a legit person or company that you trust. A lot of emails with links will usually give you a link and also the actual link that you can copy and paste, I always scrutinize the link and then manually copy and paste the link when I was expecting an email to being with..

If I get random emails (even from people/companies I know) when I wasn't expecting it, I don't click..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Yes, those types of ransomware can happen on a Mac.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Scams

A

If I get random emails (even from people/companies I know) when I wasn't expecting it, I don't click..

I don't usually but I was trying to clean my Inbox and this was one from April this year and I failed to recognise it as a scam. Anyway I'm relieved to know that this won't affect my iMac. I thnk it might have been different if I had opened it from a PC.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'm always trying to encourage friends to take security seriously but I'm afraid I just dropped my guard on this one.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It's getting harder and harder to protect yourself these days since so many players are constantly trying to maliciously attack you from all fronts. But you have to be vigilant as more and more of your accounts/data/stuff ends up being accessible online. Yes, it's a great convenience for you but a quick compromise either on your part of your provider and suddenly hackers have a ton of data..

Case in point is Equifax most recently in the US. For a company that is crucial to millions of people for their credit, they hold a TON of data that companies are required to send them, you'd think security would be the ONLY thing they care about, but alas, that doesn't seem to be the case. Not only did they use silly things like "admin1" as their password, they got scammed to send out a link to a URL of a phishing website that looked exactly like their real website raising awareness about the breach..

Just appalling..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And the identity theft protection companies are enjoying a booming business thanks to the dummies at Equifax. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn that the other two credit bureaus have also been compromised.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.