Disk Utility DMG file creation progress bar goes to zero after creating the file?

Reaction score
I have been trying to create a DMG file in Disk Utility by going up to the menu and creating a disk image from a folder. Then, I see the words "Creating "Untitled.dmg"" as the progress bar slowly goes from left to right. Then, when the progress bar has reached the end, the bar goes back to the beginning (no shading) and gets stuck there forever. I then force quit Disk Utility and try to open the Untitled.dmg file, only to see that it is corrupt.

Does anyone know why I keep getting this error?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Does anyone know why I keep getting this error?

What Mac model and OS X version are you using.

As I recall, some versions had some problems with Disk Utility and images.

Also, where is the image being created?

- Patrick
======

OP
U
Reaction score
It is a Macbook Pro Retina 13 Mid 2014 with Mac OS X Sierra. I have tried to create it on an external hard drive and on my computer's SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
You need to have enough contiguous space on the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You need to have enough contiguous space on the drive.

Bang on Bob, and in addition, I can't recall or don't know if TWICE the space of the image to be created is required or not.

I also have an old nagging thought that even then when enough space was available, there was a size limit restriction on an image creation.

There's also the question of whether the OP is allowing enough time for the image to be fully created. It's sure going to be at least about 30-40 GBs minimum in size I would think!!!

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.