Can't decide what to do about running Windows

Reaction score
Ok. I'm an architecture student and I met my first MacBook a year ago. Since then I've been reading this Windows-running posts all over the web. Here's the thing. We have to use 3ds Max on our books at school and there is'nt a Mac version of it, we all know that.

Tried using a virtual machine through Parallels first, but didn't get what I needed. I'm currently using Bootcamp with Parallels. It's working fine now. But the problem is that I'm running out of disk space. When I first installed Windows partition, size of windows system files was about 20gb and now it's almost 45gb. Now I'm like ***?! How the **** did that happen?

My MacBook is MacBook Pro mid-2015 256gb. I'm started having space problems now. On Mac, CleanMyMac helps sometimes, but there's no such app on Windows? I use Windows only to run 3ds Max, note that. Nothing else. So this is where I stand:

*Windows: 6 gb of 56gb available
*Mac 32 of 200gb available

I'm thinking of removing bootcamp partition from my Mac, if I can't find any solution to this. I can't give up 56gb of my space just to use 3ds Max anymore. But also I red about Wine, Crossover and other stuff. I'm using wine for small programs and games like AeO II. But never actually tried Crossover. So what should I do?

Sorry for the long post!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

Amongst the virtualization software, Parallels is best suited for CAD type software. Was the performance with Parallels not good enough?

Windows laptops are fairly cheap to buy and the cheapest one will likely run 3DS Max without any problem, so you might want to just consider purchasing a Windows laptop specifically for that purpose while doing everything else on your Mac..

OP
H
Reaction score
Actually, I wasn't able to run 3ds Max when I installed Parallels for the first time. For hours, I tried to solve that problem and when finally when I did, I noticed that there was a performance lacking compared to a windows-only PC. Bootcamp is better than that. And about buying a new laptop, that actually got me. I'll consider it.

Thanks for the answer!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Virtualization does a wonderful job with most things that people want to do on Windows or Linux. The two major categories where virtualization just doesn't work well is games and CAD-like software. In both of these categories, the apps need access to the GPU to make use of the rendering pipelines to do their work efficiently and offload the work from the CPU. So bootcamp turns out to be the best solution there. However, Windows can very easily bloat up (as you've found), so a dedicated (even used laptop for the course of your studies) might be the best option..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 11 Mac Mini, 2.5Gh i5, 16 GB Ram, 500 Gb SSD Sys disk, 1 Tb Data disk
Your problem is you really really need a bigger HD. I gave up running a Windows partition on a 500 Gb drive in my Mac mini and installed another, even then I ran out so bought another matching mini and run Windows 10 on it and OSX 10,12 on the original.

Like you software I use (Solidworks) doesn't come on mac anymore and also some of my best games are Win only.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.