iOS 11

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Bob, this is a quote from post #1 by chscag:

This might account for the difference between your experience and the others who have installed iOS 11?

Ian
Could be Ian. I was replying to Raz0rEdge, about his 1.9GB upgrade download, just for comparison. I just checked both of my devices and they both have the same build # 15A372. I thought 2 different devices would have different builds.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A hint about the new App Store:

If you wish to see your purchased items: You might notice that option no longer shows up as it did before. However, it's still there nicely hidden by Apple. (thanks Apple :Not-Amused:) Just click on your picture in the upper right corner of the screen and then select "Account". Your Apple ID will then be shown and your purchased items can be looked at.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
App Store is going to take some getting used to. It looks… chaotic,

Oh my God, is that even possible considering how bad it was and has been all these years… :(

I'll have to take a look and see if it has changed much for us older iOS users when I have some time with my iPad 2.

- Patrick
======

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I upgraded both my 10.5" Pro and iPad Air to IOS11. No issues. It works ok on the Air but really shines on the 10.5 Pro. Having to learn how the files app works on the Local iPad and Multitasking and split screen are different. Getting used to it. I ran a few benchmarks and I am getting slightly higher scores on the Pro than is did with 10.3. The Air I don't see much difference, after all the Air is a lot older.

So far very impressed especially with the pro and 11.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 13, iPhone SE 2, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
So MacInWin my understanding is old 32bit apps will remain on your device (but won't work) and when and if the developer produces a 64bit version it will appear in Updates.
If on the other hand it is a completely new version I guess one would just have to check periodically.
I'm going to put all of mine in a folder an hope for a upgraded version some time in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
So I was just looking at my iPhone (upgraded to iOS 11 earlier but not touched since), and noticed an icon that was gray with an icon inside of an entire calculator. It looked like a really cheap, cheesy icon for a hack of an app that I’d never consider downloading. I was wondering how it got on my iPhone, then realized it’s the default bundled Calculator app. Apple simply changed the icon to this ridiculous thing.

M

MacInWin

Yep, that's how I see it working, Rod. I only have one, so it just sits there, taunting me. The developer says the 64-bit is in for Apple approval.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I removed my one and only 32 bit app before installing iOS 11. Since it will never be updated, I saw no point in allowing it to take up space on my iPhone. It was the Mac-Forums app provided to us by iNET 5 or 6 years ago.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 13, iPhone SE 2, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yep, that's how I see it working, Rod. I only have one, so it just sits there, taunting me. The developer says the 64-bit is in for Apple approval.
I Wonder if the MacForums app is on that list or is it truely defunct?

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Rod:

Read my reply right above yours. The Mac-Forums app will never be updated as that was originally provided by iNET and they no longer are in the forum business. I really don't care as I now have a 10.5" iPad Pro and can use Safari to do the forums on it. I really didn't like using the Mac-Forums app on my iPhone as it was hard to move around and couldn't properly perform staff actions on it. I can do everything on my iPad Pro just as if I were on my Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Updated my iPad and iPhone6. Both seem OK so far, although haven't tried all Apps yet.

Not keen on App Store, which is hard to read, turned off the confusing keyboard option, but I like the new Dock on the iPad. Shame that doesn't apply to iPhone as well :)

Found a 32-bit App (Zengrams) which no longer opens. Shame as it was a terrific puzzle game :(

Luckily it seems it is on Android now so no loss. I have one of those as well :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
The only slightly annoying part is that I also have an old iPhone5c, which will not support iOS11.
However, I cannot move my 32-bit Apps over to that - even if I still have them on the newer iPhone, as they are not on the App Store any more and not on iTunes.

So they are lost even though I still have a device that would run them :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
The only slightly annoying part is that I also have an old iPhone5c, which will not support iOS11.
However, I cannot move my 32-bit Apps over to that - even if I still have them on the newer iPhone, as they are not on the App Store any more and not on iTunes.

So they are lost even though I still have a device that would run them :(
This is the reason I liked having the Apps in iTunes for syncing. If you have them in iTunes, you can put them on whatever device you want. Right now, with one Apple ID, I have over 1500 apps, and the Apple ID I use now, has just over 1000. With my current Apple ID, I have all my apps in itunes, not so with my older Apple ID, because the apps alone take up over 130GB of space, so I only sync the apps my daughter uses on the older iPad 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple LC, MacBook Pro, iPhone 6S
I have an iPhone 6S that I'm really fond of but not sure if I should update the iOS. In the past updates to my old iPhones has caused them to slow down soooooo much I trashed them as were no good for anything. Should I leave my 6S alone or put iOS 11 on ??

M

MacInWin

Nighthawk4, have you tried connecting the older iPhone to iTunes, then dragging the app onto iTunes, even the new iTunes. That action is supposed to install the app on the iPhone even if you no longer can get to the store. Look for the application in the iTunes library under Mobile Applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sadly I have not used iTunes for some time, so I doubt the Apps are in there. They are on the newer iPhone, but of course they don't work any more.

Can I drag them off the newer iPhone onto iTunes and then from there onto the older iPhone?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If you have researched the new features that come with iOS 11 - Google if you need to, it's all over the Internet - and none of them is a deal breaker for you, then stick with what you've got; at least for the immediate future.

I'm surprised and disheartened to learn that updates have slowed your iPhone 6s "sooooo" much because in my household we have older iPhones than that which are on 10.3.3 and run really well. My wife's 6, for example, is as snappy as you'd want.

Wonder if there is something else going on???

You don't actually say what your 6S is running. Is it 10.3.3?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple LC, MacBook Pro, iPhone 6S
Ian, thanks for reply.
My iPhone 6S works really well on the 10.3.3 that's on it. My experience in past e.g. iPhone 4s updates more or less stopped the phone. That's why I asked the Q, as I didn't want to muck up my 6S with an update if I can help it. If that makes sense?
I'd rather not bother with iOS 11 if it's going to considerably slow my 6S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Nighthawk4, What version of iTunes are you using? I’m still using version 12.6.2.20. You should be able to download all your apps to iTunes, as long as your not using iTunes 12.7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks - I will give that a try.

I just installed Sierra on my MBP but I didn't update iTunes. I can also try El Capitan on the MBP, which definitely does not have the latest iTunes.

I also have an iMac running a really old iTunes and a Windows machine which is probably not running the latest iTunes :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.