iOS 11

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple will release iOS 11 tomorrow September 19th at approximately 10:00 AM Pacific DST.

A reminder to everyone planning on installing this new version of iOS to their iPhone, iPad, or Touch: Any 32 Bit applications that you may have will no longer work and will be removed. You can find out if you have any 32 Bit applications on your iDevice by going to "Settings", "General", "About", "Applications". Anything listed under "Applications" may no longer work or be available in iOS 11.

An example of an application that will no longer work in iOS 11 is our own "Mac-Forums app". Since it has not been updated to 64 bit, it will be removed from your iDevice.

Please make sure you backup your iDevice before installing iOS 11 and it is recommended by Apple that you Archive the backup so that it is not overwritten later on. You archive it by right clicking on the backup and select "Archive".

It is also highly recommended by Apple that any backups be made with the latest version of iTunes, that is, 12.7.

Have fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I think I will wait and see how everyone else gets along with it - contrary to my usual mode of operation. :Cool: Although, I do hope it will fix some issues I have been having with my iPhone.

I have had issues with my iPhone 7+ since the last update. A call will come in or I can be placing a call, and the phone freezes on the screen showing a connection and like I should be able to talk to the person but no one is there and I can't hang it up. I have to do a hard reset to get it working again. I never had the problem until this last update.

Lisa

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Please make sure you backup your iDevice before installing iOS 11 and it is recommended by Apple that you Archive the backup so that it is not overwritten later on. You archive it by right clicking on the backup and select "Archive".

If, like me, you are not sure where to find the backup to which Admin chscag made reference:

Open iTunes > Preferences > Devices. Select the backup for your iOS Device and Right Click on it. Archive is a dropdown option.

Sorry if everyone knows this already, but I didn't, and assumed there could be a few others in a similar situation;)

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
IWT I too was unaware of that so good hint.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

M

MacInWin

So here's a question about the 32-bit apps. If I upgrade to iOS 11, and if the OS now deletes the apps that are 32-bit, and if iTunes no longer is the way to get updated software, then how do I find out when the 32-bit apps are updated to 64-bit? Previously, I would get a notice in iTunes that updates were available and then download them either directly or through iTunes. What's the new mechanism to let me know that an app that is NOT on my iPhone but that is in the library of all apps has been updated? Do I now have to remember and check for them manually?

EDIT: This is not rhetorical, I actually have one app that is 32-bit that the developer says he has submitted to Apple as 64-bit and is awaiting Apple approval. But if I upgrade, how will I know when it's there?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
32-bit apps not supported on iOS 11

iOS 11 is going to be released today and will slowly reach all the devices. Before doing the upgrade, make sure you have a backup either on iTunes or iCloud. The other thing to know is that iOS 11 disallows the use of 32-bit apps. The technical reason and why this is an issue isn't worth getting into, just know that 32-bit apps will not work..

Most developers (who care about their apps) have likely updated and tested their apps on the various developer release of iOS 11 already, however there might be a few that haven't..

To check if your phone is currently running any 32-bit apps (on a device that is at least running iOS 10.3), go to Settings->About and look at the Applications entry. If you have any 32-bit apps installed you will be able to click on it (indicated with the > sign) and see which apps will be affected by an upgrade to iOS 11. You should then check to see if there is an update available on the App Store or delete the app if you don't care/use about it..

If you have no 32-bit apps, then you will just a number of applications without any ">" symbol, so from the apps perspective, you are all set for iOS 11..

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We already had a thread about iOS 11. Combined them both together.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is not rhetorical, I actually have one app that is 32-bit that the developer says he has submitted to Apple as 64-bit and is awaiting Apple approval. But if I upgrade, how will I know when it's there?

Kind of a catch 22 Jake. You'll just have to keep up with it from the developer. Also, you want to make sure that you do not get charged for a new app when it appears as 64 bit, unless of course if the app is free.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doing the upgrade, wow 1.9GB download. Thankfully I have a ridiculously fast Internet connection at work, downloaded the entire thing in 3 mins over WiFi..

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm currently in the middle of updating my 7+. It's definitely taking awhile. I've got two more devices to go. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
iOS 11 is now on my iPad pro 12” and it is great.
Time to figure out all the new things.
I am now even more convinced I no longer need my MB Air.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
iOS 11 doesn’t not delete non compatible apps, they’re still there.

I just update my iPad Pro and my 32 bit apps are still on there, just will not open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 21.5" iMac. and a Mini iPad 2.
Just updated my iPad Mini 2 to iOS11 with no issues as far as I can see. The graphics look nice and crisp. I’ve yet to explore all the new features but everything appears to be working very well.

John. :Mischievous:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Doing the upgrade, wow 1.9GB download. Thankfully I have a ridiculously fast Internet connection at work, downloaded the entire thing in 3 mins over WiFi..
Weird, I did my iPad Pro and the upgrade was 2.4GB. Now , my iPhone is downloading and it is 2.47GB. I am doing this through iTunes ver 12.6.2.20, if that matters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thankfully I have a ridiculously fast Internet connection at work, downloaded the entire thing in 3 mins over WiFi..

Nice, that's about 100Mbps it seems. Must be nice. :eek:

- Patrick
======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice, that's about 100Mbps it seems. Must be nice. :eek:

I have about a 275 Mbps connection..I was downloading the various XCode/Safari updates as well and was averaging around 17.7 MB/s per iStat Menus on my MBP..

M

MacInWin

I can confirm that. I upgraded, the one 32-bit app is there, just won't open. So maybe, when it gets updated to 64-bit, it will show up in the App Store as an update. Time will tell.

M

MacInWin

Hmm, Field Test Mode has apparently been changed. Can't get the signal strength to change to dBm any more. Bummer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
iOS 11 doesn’t not delete non compatible apps, they’re still there.

I just updated my iPad Pro and my 32 bit apps are still on there, just will not open.

Ditto. They are still present, but you can’t open them. You also can’t even see 32-bit apps in the App Store. Speaking of which, the App Store is going to take some getting used to. It looks... chaotic, I guess. I don’t like it, and I’ve always felt it needed improvement to the search/discovery features. And another thing... you can now simply slide down a letter key on the keyboard to get a number or special character, rather than switching the keyboard layout. It sounds like a great idea, but in practice I’ve been constantly getting “7” when I meant to get “u”, and similar for a couple other characters. Definitely needs some refinement.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Weird, I did my iPad Pro and the upgrade was 2.4GB. Now , my iPhone is downloading and it is 2.47GB. I am doing this through iTunes ver 12.6.2.20, if that matters.

Bob, this is a quote from post #1 by chscag:
It is also highly recommended by Apple that any backups be made with the latest version of iTunes, that is, 12.7.

This might account for the difference between your experience and the others who have installed iOS 11?

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.