iOS 11

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
On my iPad air is the control center with "music" on it. I am trying to eliminate it because when i get on my iPad it shows up on my home screen with random, artists. I've gone to setting>control center> customize controls. And it isn't even listed there as an option. I guess this is something that i have to live with in IOS11.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On my iPad air is the control center with "music" on it. I am trying to eliminate it because when i get on my iPad it shows up on my home screen with random, artists. I've gone to setting>control center> customize controls. And it isn't even listed there as an option. I guess this is something that i have to live with in IOS11.

I have an iPad Air also and when I wake it and unlock it I get the last screen I was on when it went to sleep. No music screen. I will check and see if I can figure out what is going on with your Air and IOS 11.

When you say HOME SCREEN do you mean the main one with the Settings and App Store icons on it and the Dock?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@firesidedog

I think I can help you.

Firstly, "Music" is one of the fixtures in the Control Centre. You cannot eliminate it with Customise Controls.

To stop this happening, quit all apps before sleeping your iPad.

To do this: swipe up from the bottom to open Control Centre. Or you can double press on the Home button which does the same thing. All open apps will appear to the left. Flick up each one to close them.

Then sleep the iPad.

Ian

Reaction score
Did you read thru the information I provided you at the link in red? That will show you how to transfer and read your books on a Win machine. And no, there is no iBooks app for Windows.
chacag, this is an old article that talks about the general transfer between iTunes (incl for Windows pc) and devices like iPhone and iPad. I got that and I have been doing these with iTunes for Windows and iPad until I recently updated the iTunes to 12.7 and all of a sudden, the book tab is no longer available. Does it mean that version 12.7 no longer supports Window and you either do not update iTunes or have to sync your books from iPhone to iPad from now onwards? I heard you can switch it back to the classic mode but could not find it in the menu.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
On my iPad air is the control center with "music" on it. I am trying to eliminate it because when i get on my iPad it shows up on my home screen with random, artists.

As Ian has pointed out above, you can not remove the music setting from the Control Center nor can you change it in any way. If you have no music on your iPad then my advice is not to even mess with the music setting from the Control Center. And if you close all your apps as Ian has advised, then nothing should show up when you wake your iPad.

By the way, for others reading this thread, be real careful what you mess with in the Control Center as some of the settings there do not do what they appear to do - like the WiFi and Blue Tooth settings.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does it mean that version 12.7 no longer supports Window and you either do not update iTunes or have to sync your books from iPhone to iPad from now onwards? I heard you can switch it back to the classic mode but could not find it in the menu.

The latest version of iTunes 12.7 for the Mac does not include iBooks. I would imagine it also has been removed from the Windows version. However, macOS includes an iBooks application whereas there isn't one for Windows.

If you still have your older version of iTunes installed (12.6), I would leave that in place for now and not upgrade. Otherwise, in order to get the same book on an iPad that you have on your Windows PC or iPhone, you will have to go to your purchased items in the iBook store and download it again. Probably a real PITA.

Personally, I do not use iBooks at all and get all my books using the Kindle. Kindle has an app for iOS, Windows, Mac, and Android. Once you purchase a Kindle book from Amazon, you can download it and read it on any device you own.

BTW, the forum software will not allow me to give my opinion of this newer version of iTunes. :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
I used Kindle before purchasing my first iPad and switched it to iPad for its bigger screen, colour and better book management. I also got the iBook app on my Mac which made me wonder if iTunes, focusing on music only in 12.7, is trying to abandon windows for competitive reasons? I saw a lot of similar questions on the apple forum with basically no answers at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
BTW, the forum software will not allow me to give my opinion of this newer version of iTunes.

Now. I would say THAT COMMENT is a very valid and general review and comment that many others have stated and that some really may want to respect and make note of. Or at least do some web searching before one "upgrades" — if I dare use such a word from what others have said and reported.

- Patrick
======

M

MacInWin

I've refrained for a bit, letting iTunes settle in. Now I've abandoned it altogether. It's a music player and I don't listen to music on my computer. The new App store is abominable, and doesn't show the size of the download any more. I've moved to iMazing for backup and restore functions. I cannot see where Apple is going with this mess they've created. What we need now is an app like iMazing that can access the store AND sync the devices. Kinda what iTunes used to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've refrained for a bit, letting iTunes settle in. Now I've abandoned it altogether. It's a music player and I don't listen to music on my computer. The new App store is abominable, and doesn't show the size of the download any more. I've moved to iMazing for backup and restore functions. I cannot see where Apple is going with this mess they've created. What we need now is an app like iMazing that can access the store AND sync the devices. Kinda what iTunes used to do.

I've generally been satisfied with each iOS release. Even iOS 7, which I was prepared to hate because all the pundits said I would, I liked instantly, even though I had a couple reservations (mostly the font choice, IIRC). iOS 11 is the first time I've felt let down. I outright hate it for the most part. There's very little that I've seen that truly makes it more usable. Spotlight has been severely neutered. I've always used it to launch apps by typing a partial name, but now you have to have "Siri Search and Suggestions" enabled individually for each app, or it only appears in Spotlight after typing the entire name. This is absurd. I don't want every app's contents fully indexed and searched anytime I use Spotlight. And Control Center... I like some of the changes but you can't customize it enough. There was a 3rd party tool I used to use when I jailbroke my iPhones that let you customize the list of toggle-able settings. What they have here is a half-baked response to that. Swiping down doesn't give me my widgets right away... you now get the lock screen (which isn't even locked), which then requires another swipe to get the notifications. What craziness is this? And yes, the App Store. They actually made it worse. I'm afraid to "upgrade" to High Sierra on my iMac when that drops if this is any indication of what's to come.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Lifeisabeach, I can identify with much you have said and agree many of the changes fall a little short of my hopes and some I don't really like but the Spotlight search issue works ok for me. I have Suggestions in Search and Suggestions in Lookup switched on but I have turned many of the listed apps to Off, rather than Search & Siri Suggestions but they still come up in the Siri App Suggestions box after typing the second letter in Search.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Sorry this posted twice. After pressing reply I got a no internet connection and the page quit. Now the first post is there. Problems experienced in the eruption zone on Bali using portable WiFi modem on 3G I suppose.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently we are 23km away from Mt Agung which will erupt just not sure exactly when. We are not in the lava flow zone and we are virtually on the beach upwind from the volcano. My wife is doing volunteer work with pregnant and full term evacuees and their children as she is an independent midwife and child health care consultant. I am next to useless with a fractured right clavicle. So I'm writing posts on forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Stay safe. Good luck to everyone there :)

M

MacInWin

Lifeisabeach, you said:
Spotlight has been severely neutered. I've always used it to launch apps by typing a partial name, but now you have to have "Siri Search and Suggestions" enabled individually for each app, or it only appears in Spotlight after typing the entire name.
But that is not how it's working on my iPhone. If I use Spotlight to find an app, as I am typing in the name of the app, options appear. For example, if I type "boo" I can see four apps that have the work "book" in them and one of those is the app I use the most. All I did to get that functionality was to upgrade from 10 to 11. No changes in any settings and certainly not for every app. Maybe you have something else set to block that for all apps?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok while we are on the subject of iOS 11 changes. I notice the Messages app now has two tabs, Messages and Junk. I have nothing in Junk, how do I use this? I thought I could move things I identify as Junk into this tab but how?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lifeisabeach, I can identify with much you have said and agree many of the changes fall a little short of my hopes and some I don't really like but the Spotlight search issue works ok for me. I have Suggestions in Search and Suggestions in Lookup switched on but I have turned many of the listed apps to Off, rather than Search & Siri Suggestions but they still come up in the Siri App Suggestions box after typing the second letter in Search.

But that is not how it's working on my iPhone. If I use Spotlight to find an app, as I am typing in the name of the app, options appear. For example, if I type "boo" I can see four apps that have the work "book" in them and one of those is the app I use the most. All I did to get that functionality was to upgrade from 10 to 11. No changes in any settings and certainly not for every app. Maybe you have something else set to block that for all apps?

That's odd. I've tried every combo of settings in "Siri and Search" and I still can't get apps to show up if they don't have it turned on in that app's settings. Methinks it's time to try a restore from iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently we are 23km away from Mt Agung which will erupt just not sure exactly when. We are not in the lava flow zone and we are virtually on the beach upwind from the volcano. My wife is doing volunteer work with pregnant and full term evacuees and their children as she is an independent midwife and child health care consultant. I am next to useless with a fractured right clavicle. So I'm writing posts on forums.

Oh wow. Yeah, this has been a bad year for natural disasters. I have a lot of friends and family in Florida, but no one lost more than some shingles with Hurricane Irma. We were worried for my wife's aunt and uncle. They live a few blocks from the west coast and wouldn't evacuate because her uncle is in poor health and can't tolerate travel. They were just outside the mandatory evacuation zone and they did come out fine, but another block in and they wouldn't have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's odd. I've tried every combo of settings in "Siri and Search" and I still can't get apps to show up if they don't have it turned on in that app's settings. Methinks it's time to try a restore from iTunes.

I have a fresh restore, and no dice. Here's a screen cap of my settings:

IMG_0288.jpg

If I search for "Air" from the Spotlight menu, I have just 2 applications listed: Airmail and AirPort Utility, both of which have the Search options enabled in their preferences. I can only see Air Hockey (or Air Wings) if I spell it out completely.

IMG_0289.jpg IMG_0290.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.