iOS 11

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you for coming back.

I doubt iOS 11 would slow your phone but if you're happy with what you've got in terms of utilities, and iOS 11 doesn't have features that you would really like, then stick with 10.3.3.

Perhaps consider the upgrade when the next .1 version update appears.

BTW, there's a huge difference between the iPhone 4S and the 6S, the latter being a pretty recent phone.

As you're a member here, keep a lookout for any comments on iOS and the 6S. I think the feedback will be reassuring.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The only slightly annoying part is that I also have an old iPhone5c, which will not support iOS11.
However, I cannot move my 32-bit Apps over to that - even if I still have them on the newer iPhone, as they are not on the App Store any more and not on iTunes.

So they are lost even though I still have a device that would run them :(

Would not the iMazing.app be able to move it over using some of your backups??

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
So I was just looking at my iPhone (upgraded to iOS 11 earlier but not touched since), and noticed an icon that was gray with an icon inside of an entire calculator. It looked like a really cheap, cheesy icon for a hack of an app that I’d never consider downloading. I was wondering how it got on my iPhone, then realized it’s the default bundled Calculator app. Apple simply changed the icon to this ridiculous thing.

Is your iOS 11 Calculator not looking like something close to this?:

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 9.18.20 AM.png

Icons-03-uai-258x258.png

iOS 11 one at tip right and on the bottom. At least for the iPhone it seems.
http://iphoneparadise.com/2017/06/0...udes-the-files-app-and-a-new-calculator-icon/

- Patrick
======

M

MacInWin

Sadly I have not used iTunes for some time, so I doubt the Apps are in there. They are on the newer iPhone, but of course they don't work any more.

Can I drag them off the newer iPhone onto iTunes and then from there onto the older iPhone?
Well, my experience is that iTunes doesn't DELETE files there, even when you delete them from the iPhone, unless and until you tell it to do so. That should mean they are still there, unless you've done something else to get rid of them.

iMazing (not free) will let you copy Apps TO and FROM attached iDevices, I think. I've not tried it, so I cannot say for certain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@iBloke1959:

Your thread was moved here to an already existing thread regarding iOS 11. Please do not start a new thread before checking to see if one already is ongoing.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Jake

You are absolutely right.

But, as Kirk says, you can avoid any potential issues in iOS 11. On your iDevice, Go into Settings > Camera > Camera Capture > Choose "Most Compatible". This will ensure that all photos taken on that iDevice will be stored as JPEG images.

Life's complicated, eh.

Ian

Reaction score
Before You Upgrade To iOS 11

You are likely to lose some apps with the move to iOS 11. You can find out which installed applications that you have that are not likely to run in iOS 11 by going here:

Settings --> General --> About --> Applications

This will allow you to either get an update or a replacement before you move to iOS11...or to decide that you don't want to update yet if you have apps that you feel are irreplaceable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Given the various problems I've been having since the upgrade of two phones to 10.3.2, I'm not touch iOS 11 for a while. In fact, I may not touch it all until 11.0.1 or 11.1 (whatever is the first bug-fix version).

Reaction score
Another potential pitfall with the upgrade to iOS 11:

“Microsoft email like Outlook.com addresses, Office365, or other email accounts hosted on Exchange servers, are affected by the bug where some email accounts no longer sending messages in the Mail app.”

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/20/cannot-send-mail-email-ios-11-error-heres-the-fix/

In case you do upgrade, a potential work-around is to use the Outlook app, which may circumvent the bug.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only single issue I have had with IOS 11 was on my iPad Air (Air not Air 2). I was making folders and went crazy moving things all over different screens trying to get it the way I wanted it and had a lockup. After 10 seconds it restarted on it's own. I have not been able to duplicate it so it was probably something I was doing trying to learn the new OS! :D Grin

Otherwise it's been faultless on even the Air leave alone the 10.5 Pro.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
At the time of the iPhone 4s I believe it was caperble of updating to iOS 9 but not the iPhone 4. It did not work too well for me either but there were lots of cautionary tales and requests for ways to revert to the previous version on line so I already knew it was risky. I think the iPhone 4 was only just able to run the upgraded iOS and I don't think apple would make that mistake again.
Have a look online for people who have already upgraded the 6s and ensure it is compatible.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple LC, MacBook Pro, iPhone 6S
I do apologise for not following protocol regarding my new thread “iOS 11” . I’m doing my best to follow the rules. I promise to not do that again :/

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have updated to iTunes 12.7 and have had two failed attempts to update to iOS 11 so far. In both cases Apple's servers have dropped out but it is very early days and this is not an uncommon event here in Bali especially in the first few days after release of an iOS upgrade. I will try again o/night via USB to iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple LC, MacBook Pro, iPhone 6S
Ok, I’ve taken the risk of updating to iOS 11 on my 6S and no problems at all ! Could not believe how quick it was to load, took less than 10 mins. Maybe because of the frightening fast Virgin fibre broadband we have where I live.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I’ve taken the risk of updating to iOS 11 on my 6S and no problems at all ! Could not believe how quick it was to load, took less than 10 mins. Maybe because of the frightening fast Virgin fibre broadband we have where I live.

Glad for you. I told you in your other thread that it was very unlikely you would have a problem with such a relatively new iPhone.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.