Sierra Can't use file sharing

Reaction score
I'm running Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29) on my MacBook pro

I need to backup my files to another computer ASAP. I wanted to do this using an ethernet cable. I've followed many tutorials but I'm having no luck. The devices would show up in the "Shared" section, but it won't let me connect. I've tried connecting to a pc running windows 7 and also a mac desktop running Yosemite and the MacBook can't connect to either of them.

I've tested the mac running yosemite to my windows pc following tutorials and works like it's supposed to. I'm out of ideas on what to do here. I'm starting to think it's just a bug in Sierra and can't do anything about it.

I'm opened to the idea of using a third party app if that's what it takes. I'm having trouble finding one though. Most of them are using a cloud method which is not what I want since I would have to upload. I got about 200gb worth of stuff to transfer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I'm starting to think it's just a bug in Sierra
I can share from my MBP with Sierra to my Mini with Snow Leopard.

OP
S
Reaction score
I would like to believe I'm missing an important step. However, I've followed several tutorials and having connection problems to multiple devices using Sierra. I also have no problems using my methods on my other mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I can connect to my wife's win 10 computer with my mini runnng Sierra, over wifi, no issues. You have to select the winOS computer and it must be on (obviously) and logged in. After you select it, you must log in, using the windows login information, and the winOS PC, must be using a password too.

Does the PC have sharing enabled?

OP
S
Reaction score
After you select it, you must log in, using the windows login information, and the winOS PC, must be using a password too.

Does the PC have sharing enabled?

I set it up to where it supposed to accept Guest since I'm only doing this temporarily. I've turned off firewalls for both OS. The pc has sharing enabled, read and write permissions. I can access and share files from pc just fine with the mac running Yosemite. I believe whatever is blocking permissions is due to a setting on this MacBook. I'll post some pics of my settings soon. Hopefully that will help.

OP
S
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what pics I would need to take in order to be helpful. I get this error when I try to connect.

There are no shares available or you are not allowed to access them on the server. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem.

I've followed many tutorials including apples. This is one of them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQaFNgU2cBU
I've also tried connecting wirelessly on same network and file sharing still doesn't work only for this MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I need to backup my files to another computer ASAP.

Apple's recent "File Sharing" methods can be a real PITA to work properly and consistently IMHO.

For your needed panic situation, I'd suggest using USB "sneaker net" using a USB flash drive or hard drive.

BTW: What are you using or doing for your normal backup???

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Or maybe not using Ethernet, just use wifi?

Edit: oops, just saw your post about wifi not working too.

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
I don't really do normal backups. I used to for a bit on files that I NEED. I would just do file sharing using wifi around that time. Didn't have this problem on Yosemite. I'm noticing small quirks too like mail and iMessage not working the way they should. I updated to Sierra just recently. So I might try to reinstall. If that doesn't help, then hopefully find a way to downgrade my OS which I'm not sure if I'm able to do yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Didn't have this problem on Yosemite. I'm noticing small quirks too like mail and iMessage not working the way they should.

That may actually be due more to them actually working correctly and as they were designed to do, which may not be what you are/were normally expecting.

And as you say, you may not be able to "downgrade".

- Patrick
======

OP
S
Reaction score
That may actually be due more to them actually working correctly and as they were designed to do, which may not be what you are/were normally expecting.

I highly doubt this is the case. Some bugs crept its way into this update or installation process. I will do a clean install once I get my files backed up.

OP
S
Reaction score
Tried the combo updater but didn't have much luck. I downloaded an app called liwi. I'm now able to transfer my files through that. After using it, I'm able to file share with my other mac over wifi like normal. I could only sync up with windows through the app but not through file sharing outside the app. The downside to liwi is that I can't send a folder, so I need to compress them first. Anyways, I don't want to compress all my files ha. I'm just going to backup to my mac and call it a day. Thanks for the feedback.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.