Disk NotE Ejected Properly

Reaction score
Even though I right click and eject my external SSD or throw the driver into the trash, a notification always pops up when I plug my SSD in again. It does not say that it has not been ejected properly when I unplug it so that's good but every time I plug it back in I get that error. I want to believe it is no big deal but I want to make sure what is wrong and what I can do about it. I know unplugging an external SSD improperly can be damaging and I want to make sure I keep my SSD in good shape. Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Are you using the drive, with only this one Mac PC, or are you using it with multiple PC's, or with multiple OS's? What Mac model are you using it with? How is the drive formatted?

The next time you plug in the drive, restart the Mac, with the drive mounted.

M

MacInWin

throw the driver into the trash
What does that mean? What driver are you talking about? If you meant the drive icon, then putting in the trash is a good way to unmount the drive. But SSDs should not require a separate driver to operate in macOS.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I assumed that he meant dragging the drive icon into the trash to eject it. If that is what's being done that should be OK.

OP
J
Reaction score
What does that mean? What driver are you talking about? If you meant the drive icon, then putting in the trash is a good way to unmount the drive. But SSDs should not require a separate driver to operate in macOS.

Yeah that's what I meant. But every time I plug my SSD back into my computer, that notification always pops. I just want to make sure I'm ejecting properly.

OP
J
Reaction score
My SSD might be defected because this notification always pops up.

OP
J
Reaction score
I have no problems utilizing the SSD. I just have worries because every time I reconnect my SSD I get that notification.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 iMac 21' 1Tb, '14, MBP 15" 256 i7 SSD, iPhone X
I have never ejected a disk or drive by moving it to the trash, so I am curious too if you would need to empty the trash before removing the device?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have no problems utilizing the SSD. I just have worries because every time I reconnect my SSD I get that notification.

Keep the SSD attached to your Mac and with it attached, reboot your Mac. After the Mac reboots and the desktop appears, eject the drive. The try attaching the drive again to see if the notice goes away. If it doesn't, the drive likely has problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.