MacBook Pro 15" early 2011 won't start

Reaction score
Hi,

I was hoping you could give me some advice?

I did something very very stupid to my MacBook Pro 2011. My gfx card on the original logic board had decided to no longer work, later found this was a design fault, anyway ask I work this computers I felt confident enough to take on the take of replacing the logic board myself. I changed the logic board and powered up the MBP. The logic board I had purchased was working and I was very happy, for about a week, then it wend back to the same problem.

Not wanting to have to do this process on a weekly basis, I did some research and found that others who had the same issue said you can upgrade the logic board to a mid 2012 logic board.

After scouting the internet for more information and gathered enough information to upgrade the logic board. I went ahead and ordered the board. all excited on its arrival I went to fit the board with all the little bits than go with it.

I booted the MBP and it works and I was ecstatically happy! So while the laptop was booting up I was impatient to wait for the laptop to finish booting to then power it down. I had the little metal guard left to screw in, only dropped the screw on the logic board and sparks came out and everything went dead. (I know, I'm not feeling proud at the moment) I tried to revive the laptop with no success and came to the conclusion that I have fried the logic board.

So I ended up buying another 2012 logic board (arrived today) I have very carefully swapped out the logic boards (made no errors this time) and went to turn on the MBP and noting not response, so I plugged in the MagSafe power adapter, the little green light comes on, I go to power the MBP and still not sign of life. I disconnected the power and then removed the battery, reconnected it and plugged in the MagSafe cable back in, the green light comes on but again I have no response. I pressed the battery indicator on the side and that isn't responding either.

Is it possible that the battery could be fried

I would be grateful for any trouble shooting ideas

Thanks

Embarrassed

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello. Sorry to hear about all the troubles...but 2 thumbs up for doing all the work yourself.:)

Two initial thoughts:

- Man...where the heck are you purchasing these logic boards? Many times it's cost prohibitive to replace a logic board in most Apple computers (since used or new logic boards are pretty expensive)...compared to the value of the computer itself. Not only have you purchased one logic board...but two!!

- I haven't looked...but are you absolutely sure a 2012 logic board is compatible with your 2011 MacBook Pro?

* Nick

p.s. Thread moved to better area. Not really a "Switcher Hangout" topic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 13" MBP, 8 Gb, 256 SSD, early 2011 13" MBP, 8 GB, 256 SSD
Have you tried disconnecting the battery and connecting the magsafe charger to see if the machine will boot up on its own? If it does, it's probably a defective battery.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Nick,
Yes I am sure the 2012 board works on the 2011 model. I did get it up and running but realized I did plug the keyboard ribbon correctly but I was able to navigate with the track pad.

I have since upgraded to a 2016 MBP pro but I can replace the 256gb ssd and for my djing its ideal so I want to keep my 2011 for djing as it has a 1tb ssd.

Hello. Sorry to hear about all the troubles...but 2 thumbs up for doing all the work yourself.:)

Two initial thoughts:

- Man...where the heck are you purchasing these logic boards? Many times it's cost prohibitive to replace a logic board in most Apple computers (since used or new logic boards are pretty expensive)...compared to the value of the computer itself. Not only have you purchased one logic board...but two!!

- I haven't looked...but are you absolutely sure a 2012 logic board is compatible with your 2011 MacBook Pro?

* Nick

p.s. Thread moved to better area. Not really a "Switcher Hangout" topic.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, when I did disconnect the battery it still didn't respond. (I was not aware that a MBP could power up with out the battery being connected) The MagSafe light is on and green.
When the battery is connected the MagSafe is also green but the battery indicator doesn't respond.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had a 2010 15" and 2011 15" and both would power up on their own without a connection to the battery and with the massage charger connected.

I'm tempted to conclude that something is wrong with the board itself or the magsafe board inside the laptop.

OP
M
Reaction score
I had a 2010 15" and 2011 15" and both would power up on their own without a connection to the battery and with the massage charger connected.

I'm tempted to conclude that something is wrong with the board itself or the magsafe board inside the laptop.

I have replaced both the logic board and the MagSafe board with not change at all.

I am all out of ideas ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried disconnecting everything you can from the logic board and trying to power it up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't think of anything else unless there is a grounding problem, a short circuit, or the board is defective?

You tried powering up without battery connected?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.