I can no longer download an updated file into an app on iPAD or iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", MacbookPro 17", Sierra on iMac, iPad Pro, cell, iPhone 6
Since iTunes became 11.7.166, when I want to download un updated file into my device (iPAD pro, iPhone 6) I can no longer succeed. Once you clicked on the device icon in iTunes, then found "App" in the list of contents. Clicking on that, one went to the list of Apps in which to add files. I wanted to download an updated file from Filemaker Pro, for example: I would have gone to Filemaker Go, clicked on it, looked at the list of file, clicked "add" and the updated file would have overridden the older one. Now, I no longer know how to do it. A long Apple support advisory doesn't seem to address this problem. I contacted Apple's "Chat" and they didn't seem to understand the problem, but referred me back to the Apple advisory I had just studied. My iOS is still 10.3.3, iTunes is the new version related above. With the new system Apps are supposedly to be handled via App Store, but I find nothing about adding files to apps already installed in the devices. Can anyone help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, you have the iTunes version wrong. (It should be 12.7 not 11.7.)

If you wish to update an iOS app that's on your iPad or iPhone, you now have to do that thru the app store icon which is on your iPhone or iPad. The new version of iTunes (12.7) no longer allows you to make iOS file updates from your Mac; you must now use your iPhone or iPad to do the updates. Which means if the app is on both your iPhone and iPad, you will have to update it twice - once from each device.

The bottom line here is that you can no longer use iTunes to update iOS apps. The Apple advisor you spoke with should have told you that.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks: I was already aware about the iOS apps now update in the devices. The Apple advisory and also the adviser reminded me, in any case. What I wasn't sure of was what you do to transfer a file updated in your MAC. Suddenly, my brain started to work, and I thought of Air Drop. Air D in the device asks you what application you want the file to go to and if you want to replace the older file. Now I wonder whether there are also other methods of file transfer, too, apart from dedicated third-party apps.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We have been told that if you attach your device to your Mac, open iTunes 12.7, that you can drag and drop apps or ringtones to the device that way. The big difference is that we can no longer update apps using our Mac or save new apps on our Mac. Transferring apps from one iPhone to another is easy if you have a third party application such as iMazing 2. You can check that application out yourself to see what you think. It's not free though and will cost $39.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You give me a very useful idea. Although Airdrop flashed into my head, and worked, I'll look into your recommendation, for which many thanks. I might note, if anyone else has the question, that after you drag your file onto the Airdrop icon for the device where you want the file to go, Airdrop will give you the list of applications in the Phone or Pad, and will offer you the opportunity to insert the file in the appropriate App. You doubtless know that, but some other reader might find that detail useful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.