Print Preview in Mac Word

Reaction score
This question doesn’t seem to have any affect on my documents, but it’s driving me crazy!!!
Someone provided me with a Word document that had page borders at the edge (0 margin), that wouldn’t show up when I printed to or saved as a PDF document. In my attempts to use suggestions found on the Internet, I changed some of the print settings (like margins) but was never able to print with the edge border.

I modified the page border settings from the Format/Borders and Shading menu, as well as settings from the Page Setup/Paper Size menu to create a new papersize to extend the print area borders. I have restored the Border and Shading settings to what they were and deleted the new paper size option I created.

I created a new (clean) Word doc with a page border to capture the attached screenshot with my current crazy question about the Print Preview. In the screenshot I have the Word doc beside the one I converted to PDF. On the Word doc, I’ve opened the print screen with the print preview displayed. You can see on both docs that the page border is displayed; however in the print preview screen, the right border is cut off/not displayed. I would swear the print preview was “full screen” before I started messing with the margins, but I can’t seem to undo my changes or reset to default so that the whole page is displayed in the print preview. Any suggestions?!

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 4.30.18 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

First... changed your title and move your post here to the correct forum.

Which version of Word are you using? You can always go back to the default for whatever was originally setup by removing the normal template and let Word creat another.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The print preview displays what the printer can print. Most likely your printer can not print to the edges of the paper. That is why your printer is not printing them. I've noticed, office printers/copiers are capable of printing to the edges of the paper selected, but most personal printers are not capable of this.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thank you! I'm using Word for Mac 2011, version 14.7.2. How/where would I remove the normal template so that Word can create another?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, you're way behind on updates to Office 2011. The latest version is 14.7.7. Get updated to the latest and see if that fixes the problem. If not, here's how to remove and replace the normal template in Word 2011:

Shut Office down first.

The normal template is located here: Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/normal.dotm

Navigate to that location using your Finder and move the "normal.dotm" file to your desktop. Then restart Word 2011. A new normal template will be created. Note: You will have to unhide your user library before you can see the normal template.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.