Uhm, what is this and how do I stop it?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 6s+, MbP 2015, iWatch 2.
Okay, so I tried to get a screenshot but to no avail. In the screen shot, it looks fixed, but trust me it isn't.

When I open a specific file on my MacBook Pro 2015, it starts stuttering, then twitching and glitching out. If I move anything over, it freezes that image (say I open a window in safari, when I close safari, the image is still on it).

There is a ton of files in this folder, and I can't really afford to lose them. Every other folder on my desktop seems to be working just fine. It's just this one file.

I should note, it's a back up file, because I downloaded the high Sierra beta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If this folder, is a backup foldear, which means there is another copy of the folder and it's contents on another drive or partition, then you can delete the folder to remove the issue.

Are you currently running High Sierra Beta?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If this folder, is a backup foldear, which means there is another copy of the folder and it's contents on another drive or partition, then you can delete the folder to remove the issue.

Are you currently running High Sierra Beta?

Yes I am.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also can't seem to find the files anywhere on my computer, and it looks to be saved onto iCloud as a back up.

M

MacInWin

You don't need to bump the thread every few hours. Just be patient, if anybody has an idea, they will chime in. You said:

When I open a specific file on my MacBook Pro 2015, it starts stuttering, then twitching and glitching out. If I move anything over, it freezes that image (say I open a window in safari, when I close safari, the image is still on it).

There is a ton of files in this folder, and I can't really afford to lose them. Every other folder on my desktop seems to be working just fine. It's just this one file.

I should note, it's a back up file, because I downloaded the high Sierra beta.

That said, your original post gives very little information to allow anyone to provide meaningful assistance. What is the "specific file?" What version of Sierra? Is it a file or a folder (you said both, which is just wrong)? What do you mean by, "it's a back up file?" What does Safari have to do with it? Is it a file or folder of webloc files? Where did the "specific file" come from? Did you download it?

What third-party software do you have installed? Any antivirus/speedup/cleanup/booster applications? What's in your login setup to start when you log in? What changes happened just before the issue started?

Basically, it's impossible to tell what's really happening from your sketchy description. Please give us more information.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't need to bump the thread every few hours. Just be patient, if anybody has an idea, they will chime in. You said:

That said, your original post gives very little information to allow anyone to provide meaningful assistance. What is the "specific file?" What version of Sierra? Is it a file or a folder (you said both, which is just wrong)? What do you mean by, "it's a back up file?" What does Safari have to do with it? Is it a file or folder of webloc files? Where did the "specific file" come from? Did you download it?

What third-party software do you have installed? Any antivirus/speedup/cleanup/booster applications? What's in your login setup to start when you log in? What changes happened just before the issue started?

Basically, it's impossible to tell what's really happening from your sketchy description. Please give us more information.

Safari was an example of what happens when I open the folder on my desktop.
I have files in the folder. Maybe I interchanged that with office speak, but in that folder, I have several files, meaning images and such.

Hope that explains much much more.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bump.
I would bring this to the Genius Bar but my work makes me deal with...*ahem* adult material. That I don't need people seeing/leaking/talking about.
So I'd rather get help on this if anyone has ever experienced this, so I can troubleshoot it on my own.

Don't say "should have backed up your work here" etc etc. A bulk of my work is on a external. I would expect Apples back up to be safe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
We need full system specs. We need to see a video, from when you get to desktop, to when the issue starts. We are not in front of your Mac, you are. If you can’t detail every thing you do before the issue happens, we can’t help. We can say what we think, but why would we do that? I don’t know (can’t see) what apps, how many apps, you have open or are using. Don’t know which version of the apps you are using are? Also, the Genius Bar would not look at your file, just the MBP.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We need full system specs. We need to see a video, from when you get to desktop, to when the issue starts. We are not in front of your Mac, you are. If you can’t detail every thing you do before the issue happens, we can’t help. We can say what we think, but why would we do that? I don’t know (can’t see) what apps, how many apps, you have open or are using. Don’t know which version of the apps you are using are? Also, the Genius Bar would not look at your file, just the MBP.

Is the video above not viewable? I posted one, you might have to wait a second for it to load up.

I'm on Os High Sierra beta, MBP 2015 i5, 13 inch. Everything on my computer is just fine until I open that specific file, then it does what it does in the video above. Every other folder on the computer opens up perfectly fine.

The images are viewable on my iCloud account, but there seems to be no way to copy them and save them to put them back on my computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm on Os High Sierra beta

You are running the beta version of macOS and are wondering why you are having glitchy behavior?????? Take some advice here... never never NEVER run a beta version of an operating system unless you know what you are doing and are prepared to recover from any problems that may arise. What you need to do is roll back to the latest version of Sierra (not High Sierra) and either restore the backup that you should have made in advance of installing the beta, or reinstall everything from scratch. Failing that, wait until High Sierra is released to the Mac App Store and get the public release, which actually is tomorrow. But don't expect it to install cleanly over the beta version. Be prepared to nuke everything and install from scratch if it comes to that. In other words, make sure you have a full backup available and prepared to get an expert to get you back up and running if need be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm in the middle of reading a review of High Sierra and the author talks about that graphical problem with the Finder. Scroll down a bit and you'll see an animated GIF demonstrating it.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/macos-10-13-high-sierra-the-ars-technica-review/

Basically it's a bug in High Sierra affecting some models of Macs; it's still there; and there's nothing to do until Apple fixes it in a future update.

Okay.. Well thankfully, I was able to take my iCloud back up, make another folder containing all the images, then plop it right on my desktop. So everything is peaches and cream now. The thread can close if a mod gets around to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.