Garageband - OSStatus Error -36

Reaction score
Hello,

Recently i have had said error (OSStatus error -36) appear when trying to open a GarageBand project.
If i open it through GarageBand the error code pops up and the program freezes and i have to force quit. If i open the project up through the finder the error code appears but then i can continue as normal. At first it was only happening on 3 files. today i noticed it has started happening with others.

I had a very long phone conversation with a chap from the apple customer care and he went through fixes with him whilst he watched me do them, but to no avail. So i thought i would try my luck on here.

Has anyone had the same problems and/or know of a fix?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Can you provide complete details for your model and year Mac, macOS, GarageBand version, and any components used with Mac or GarageBand?

Also, have you run, or done, any maintenance/security/cleaning apps on your Mac recently?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Error 36 is related to i/o errors; and that usually means hard drive problems. Suggest you run First Aid on your hard drive . Also, when you post a problem for assistance, you should give us the particulars about your hardware and which version of macOS you're running.

OP
J
Reaction score
Can you provide complete details for your model and year Mac, macOS, GarageBand version, and any components used with Mac or GarageBand?

Also, have you run, or done, any maintenance/security/cleaning apps on your Mac recently?

Sorry for not adding the details.

I have MacBook Air 13 inch, Os Sierra, GarageBand v10.

I've ran first aid but didn't find any problems. I did have Dr Clean but have since removed it.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do the non-working file projects work properly if you do get them opened and then Save them??

Have you tried making a copy and setup a new user on your Mac and then try working on them?

Does a new project work properly?

And what about trying to open and work on the existing file projects when booted up using Safe Boot Mode??

- Patrick
======

OP
J
Reaction score
Do the non-working file projects work properly if you do get them opened and then Save them??

Have you tried making a copy and setup a new user on your Mac and then try working on them?

Does a new project work properly?

And what about trying to open and work on the existing file projects when booted up using Safe Boot Mode??

- Patrick
======

I've tried opening and saving them and opening in safe mode those didn't work.

The new projects I've had did open as normal but I noticed a couple of days ago that the errors started appearing

I haven't tried making a new user yet I'll give that a bash next.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The new projects I've had did open as normal but I noticed a couple of days ago that the errors started appearing

I'd tend to agree with and as chscag suggested — possible hard drive problems.

But give a new user a try anyway… one never knows until one tries… :|

- Patrick
======

OP
J
Reaction score
Tried the new user idea, same result. Thanks for your replies any way, ill look into getting a new drive if i must then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried the new user idea, same result. Thanks for your replies any way, ill look into getting a new drive if i must then.

Do you already have an external bootable drive you could boot from and use to test??

Like your existing backup drive as an example. Using that could prove if your internal drive is failing or just goofy.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.