Should I purchase a MB Air?

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to the forum and would appreciate some guideance on a potential purchase.

I'm looking into purchasing a new laptop, and since my early model 2011 MBP (basic model) treated me so well, I decided on another Mac. Unfortunately, my MBP HD is full, the battery is almost shot (I get about 3-4 hours max, with my brightness turned down), and I'm worried about it giving out on me mid-exam. Problem is I can't afford another MBP, so I'm looking into purchasing the Air. I'm currently looking at the basic model (13", 128gb SSD, yada yada...). The incredible (advertised) battery life is what caught my attention - i'm on campus 8+ hours a day, and the computer is esentially running for 12+ hours/day.

The laptop will be used primarily for school (typing up docs, memos, in-class laptop-administered exams, etc.), web browsing, and possibly streaming movies.

Will I be dissapointed with the Air? My favorite thing about the Pro is how fast it is, even after 6 years of somewhat heavy use.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Unfortunately, my MBP HD is full, the battery is almost shot (I get about 3-4 hours max, with my brightness turned down), and I'm worried about it giving out on me mid-exam.

Since you didn't mention any performance issues. Simply replace the battery...install a larger hard drive...and you're good to go. A lot less expensive than purchasing a brand new computer.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Or look at refurbished models on the Apple website. Full 12m guarantee.

OP
M
Reaction score
Since you didn't mention any performance issues. Simply replace the battery...install a larger hard drive...and you're good to go. A lot less expensive than purchasing a brand new computer.:)

- Nick

Thanks for the reply, Nick! I probably should've mentioned this in my first post, but my current MB Pro has been suffering from some performance issues for some time - despite my upgrading it to 8gb RAM. I don't put it through heavy use - typing up docs in word, streaming youtube videos...that's about it.
For the last year, I've been randomly getting the "spinning wheele" a lot more than I did when I bought the computer. I can't bookmark a page without it popping up, word will randomly crash or freeze, i'll get the spinning wheel just for trying to save a word doc (it'll usually last about 10 seconds). The Pro is also starting to slow down a bit. Still plenty fast for my needs, though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok...that's a different issue. If there are perfomances issues...then that's an important consideration for getting something new. But...BEFORE we talk a new computer. It's very very possible that the spinning wheel could be a result of the current hard drive getting full...the current hard drive could be starting to fail...or a combination of both. Very possible that a relatively inexpensive replacement hard drive could resolve these things.

Just trying to present you with inexpensive possible solutions...before dropping BIG money on a new computer.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.