iTunes 12.7, WARNING!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Dave:

Those *.ipa files are not going to be able to be used to sync apps back to your iPad or iPhone. The only way now is to open the iTunes App store on your iDevice and go to the "purchased" option where you can either select "All" or "Not on my iPad or iPhone". Any purchased app that you do not currently have on your iPad or iPhone will show up as a small cloud symbol. Which means you can download it again.

As far as backups are concerned, since you have iMazing you can continue to make backups to your Mac. I'm trying to determine if iMazing can do what iTunes used to do and that is be able to sync apps back on your iDevice. I suspect that if it doesn't, the developers will soon add that function.

Hi Chscag - thanks for your response - I usually do not worry about syncing apps from my computer to my iDevice, BUT I was planning to buy a new iPad at the end of the year (once iOS 11.x is 'stable') - my usual plan is to restore the 'new' device from a backup on my computer (or in iCloud - will the latter be an option) - will that no longer be possible? I do have both iMazing & iExplorer on my MBPro and have made a BU w/ iMazing (never tried or used). Will now read Ian's links more carefully - boy, this is going to surprise and irritate a LOT of people who have made the switch to the new iTunes but are 'in the woods' concerning these issues. Dave :)

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Dave:

I just received an upgrade notice and 15% discount email from Macroplant (iExplorer developer) and haven't made up my mind if I want to upgrade and pay another $33 at the same time. Since you have both iMazing and iExplorer, is there any difference between them? I have the latest iMazing and if it does the same things that iExplorer does, I might just pass this upgrade by.

Thanks.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Rod:

Please check ongoing threads before posting a new one on a subject for which a thread already exists. I moved your thread here and combined it with the one that already exists.

Thanks.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@chscag, in one of the articles above, it shows how to manually sync apps and tones to your iphone, while connected to itunes, it's drag and drop easy, according to the "kirkville" article linked by Ian in post #8, I believe.

Yeah Bob, thanks. I had already picked up on that from the long-winded thread over at MacRumors. I knew that method worked as I have used it before to sync some custom ringtones and wallpaper that I have. But it's a good reminder for everyone.

By the way, I love that comment made in the article: "Apple removing the iTunes App store from iTunes just doesn't make any sense". I agree! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave:

I just received an upgrade notice and 15% discount email from Macroplant (iExplorer developer) and haven't made up my mind if I want to upgrade and pay another $33 at the same time. Since you have both iMazing and iExplorer, is there any difference between them? I have the latest iMazing and if it does the same things that iExplorer does, I might just pass this upgrade by.

Hi Charlie - well, I do have both apps on my MBPro & iMac, and updated to current versions - unfortunately, I've not used either much at all except to transfer some files from specific iDevice apps - also, I've made just one backup (i.e. have relied on iTunes/iCloud - at least up to this point!) and have not tried to restore - both are ready for iOS 11 and should work as advertised. I like the 'interface' of iMazing better, and MacWorld HERE provides a good review of v. 2.2 (now up to 2.4 w/ Wi-Fi added). SO, if you're up-to-date on iMazing, I believe that is all you'll need - cannot see in my limited experience that the other offers any major different options?

Since this iTunes 12.7 development, I'll plan to start learning one of those apps much better and will start w/ iMazing, myself - sorry that I cannot be of much more help - will look forward to your comments as you use the app. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After responding to Chscag above, I was wondering if I bought a new iPad in a few months, how would I convert from my old iPad Air 2 - easy in the past w/ an iTunes or iCloud backup - but what will Apple offer at that time (assuming that its recent iTunes release will likely be 'updated'?) - I cannot imagine that Tim Cook wants you to download all of your previous apps, one by one, to the new iDevice - and then how about the settings & data - this is an unbearable thought!

SO, of the two previous macOS apps discussed, I looked more closely at the newest iMazing Release - there is a 'Transfer' feature that allows both the old & new iDevice to be USB wired to a computer, and then a direct conversion possible between them, as shown in the image below. I suspect that will be my approach unless Apple indeed brings out some more sensible solution(s). Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 5.35.16 PM.png

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your response Dave re: iExplorer update. I do have the latest version of iMazing (2.4) and believe I will just press on with using it to do backups. About copying your old iPad to a new one, I believe that capability still exists with the new version of iTunes. iTunes 12.7 continues to be able to make backups of your iDevices so the latest backup you have from your older iPad should be able to be used go populate the new one.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
@Rod:

Please check ongoing threads before posting a new one on a subject for which a thread already exists. I moved your thread here and combined it with the one that already exists.

Thanks.
Thanks Chicago, I will do a search on a topic before posting what was new info to me but obviously I'm a little out of touch.
Trying to keep up with everything with just a phone is proving to be a bit difficult.
Great thread anyway.
I think my biggest regret is not being able to update iOS apps on the MBP.
Because of the unreliable internet service here in Bali I have sometimes found iOS apps disabled for a day at a time if an update stalls on the iOS app store.
I am sure that I am not the only person living in poor reception areas or slow service areas that will miss this option particularly for large files like upgrades.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Thanks for your response Dave re: iExplorer update. I do have the latest version of iMazing (2.4) and believe I will just press on with using it to do backups. About copying your old iPad to a new one, I believe that capability still exists with the new version of iTunes. iTunes 12.7 continues to be able to make backups of your iDevices so the latest backup you have from your older iPad should be able to be used go populate the new one.
This is the bit that concerns me. Will iTunes backups include 3rd party apps?
If I need to perform a restore for example using an iTunes backup will it include the apps? This is probably a moot point for me because I use iMazing for backups but my wife does not.
Surely Apple would not expect us to reload all of those apps again from the App Store?

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the bit that concerns me. Will iTunes backups include 3rd party apps?
If I need to perform a restore for example using an iTunes backup will it include the apps? This is probably a moot point for me because I use iMazing for backups but my wife does not.
Surely Apple would not expect us to reload all of those apps again from the App Store?

Lot of folks have been asking the same thing. As far as we are aware, iTunes will continue to make backups which will include those apps you have on your iPhone or iPad regardless of whether or not they're third party.

However, it has been my personal experience with restoring third party apps that many times the data associated with those apps is lost. I have had to go through some hoops to reinstate lost data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Lot of folks have been asking the same thing. As far as we are aware, iTunes will continue to make backups which will include those apps you have on your iPhone or iPad regardless of whether or not they're third party.

However, it has been my personal experience with restoring third party apps that many times the data associated with those apps is lost. I have had to go through some hoops to reinstate lost data.

Thanks again Chscag for the comments above - I hope that Apple has indeed kept the restore function in place to setup a new iPad - but in reading Ian's links, one quote below is what concerned me (placed in bold) - just thinking that iMazing might be the better option - Dave :)

In addition, there’s the issue of restoring an iOS device that has had problems, or setting up a new device. Instead of being able to sync your apps from iTunes, you’ll need to download all of them. And you can no longer rearrange apps when your devices is connected to iTunes; if you have a lot of apps, this is much easier than moving wiggling icons around on your device screen.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Having just done an iMazing backup for my iPhone 7, I noticed there is a Transfer To Another Device option. I assume that is the way to go to set up a new iPhone/iPad. I use the encrypted backup option in the hope that will preserve my settings, passwords and data but it's all untested so far.
One comment on the OSX Daily page on this topic was from a user who had updated without first reading the "Whats New" section. He was irate and I'm sure he will not be the only one.
I would expect to see, How can I revert to iTunes 12.6 ? posts appearing very soon.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry guys if I have duplicated this. It has turned out to be rather important because we use a hotel bookings app here which depends on the below method to sync across devices:

Just briefly on the topic of iTunes 12.7
We will all be familiar with the window at the bottom of the device Apps tab when syncing via USB. It has a number of apps listed in a column on the left that can have data added by selecting the app, pressing the add button and dragging files to the window prior to sync. I am guessing that this will not be available in 12.7 so how do I transfer files from OSX to iOS apps that depend on that transfer method?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A bit late reply Rod.

With iTunes 12.7, you can still drag and drop the *.ipa file on your device and it will install. The problem with that is you can no longer update apps and save them on your Mac with 12.7. The only way you can update apps is from your device.

And Rod... please do not double post the same question. You posted here and also in the Sunday Night chat thread. That just causes confusion.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
so how do I transfer files from OSX to iOS apps that depend on that transfer method?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums
There is a "File Sharing" option, when you have selected your device, in iTunes 12.7. Do you see it?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, no I don't see it because I have not updated iTunes yet but I'm glad to know it's there. Thanks.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry chscag, I apologised for that possibility in advance, I was not sure it had actually gone through due to a drop out and a little problem I am having with the MacForums app. Still it won't be around much longer.

Reaction score
Time Machine works for that still, doesn't it?

Are you sure the Mobile Applications folder is not in your iTunes folder, just not showing in itunes? I was aware they are removing the App Store from iTunes, must be something along those lines.

I browsed around in the folder via Finder but I'm not comfortable there...don't want to delete the wrong thing. I'm going to see if I can find a third party app that might help with desk arrangement. Thank you very much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.