• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A new challenge

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
As some of you know, I'm always up for a challenge and earlier I had posted some photos of what called inside out turning. Too long to explain here, better to do a e=search on it if you haven't heard of it before.

Well, I have made a 4 section followed by a 3 section jobbie which turned out a lot better IMHO. But, I thought 'I wonder if it's possible to do an 8?' So armed with a lump of beach wood, about 8" long by 4" square I sawed it lengthwise in to 8 segmenta, like an orange, turned them inside out and glued them back together. Turned a waste like form inot it. Then split them back into the 8 bits and turned them back the original way. That gave me the same internal form as a 4 bit, so I rearranged them the right way out but in a different form and glued them back together again. This time as a permanent fixture.

Back onto the lathe and turned the outside to the shape I wanted, heart in mouth and ready to duck toot-sweet (as the French would say?) No bits flew off and it took the shape I wanted.

I wanted it to be a candle stick to take one of my 3" spherical candles so a curve was shaped in the top. I finished up with

8 bit inside out 2 by John, on Flickr

I didn't want the candle just to sit in the dip in the bare wood. I have some zinc drain piping left over from fitting some rain water tubs. The zinc is a nice silvery, shink, soft metal, so i wondered??? So I opened up a bit of it. It's only soft soldered, and cut about a 5" square

I turned a press for it

8 bit candle stick zinc 1 by John, on Flickr

8 bit candle stick zinc 2 by John, on Flickr

And employed my 6 tonne log splitter :D:D to put a bit of pressure on it, as you do?

8 bit candle stick zinc 3 by John, on Flickr
And finished up with what looked like a floded silver handkerchief

8 bit candle stick zinc 5 by John, on Flickr

It fitted beautifully into the dip

8 bit inside out 3 by John, on Flickr

And the candle fitted as if it had been made for the job

8 bit inside out 4 by John, on Flickr

I still have to give it a coat of herd wax oil and polish, but all in all, I like it and it is very different. The holes are alternate high/low as I turned the even segments upside down to get the effect I hoped for. That is why it isn't as good a join as I would have liked in places?

C'est la vie..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
As some of you know, I'm always up for a challenge and earlier I had posted some photos of what called inside out turning. Too long to explain here, better to do a e=search on it if you haven't heard of it before.

Well, I have made a 4 section followed by a 3 section jobbie which turned out a lot better IMHO. But, I thought 'I wonder if it's possible to do an 8?' So armed with a lump of beach wood, about 8" long by 4" square I sawed it lengthwise in to 8 segmenta, like an orange, turned them inside out and glued them back together. Turned a waste like form inot it. Then split them back into the 8 bits and turned them back the original way. That gave me the same internal form as a 4 bit, so I rearranged them the right way out but in a different form and glued them back together again. This time as a permanent fixture............

C'est la vie..

Hi John - yet, another triumph! Congrats on a job well done - Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey John...

Instead of moving back to the UK, maybe we can get you to come to Texas where we could sure use your talents. Maybe learn a bit of Spanish while you're at it. :)

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Ta folks.

Move to Texas Chas? Not with your weather mate!:Oops::Oops: I hope that all is well with you?

It really was a voyage of discovery and I had no idea as to how it would turn out? But I do like the result. If I had the kit I could have got the finish better, but hey-** :Mischievous::Mischievous:

I will have to start packing my kit away fairly soon. Probably in a few weeks time and get really ready for our move. That will be a shock for me, big time :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Beautiful piece.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also finished this little dish and that was a challenge in a different way and I was very lucky

IMG_1745 by John, on Flickr

IMG_1746 by John, on Flickr

This is the twist in the very lucky tail

IMG_1749 by John, on Flickr

That's the sun shining through the wood around the dovetail in the underside where it's held in the chuck! About a 1/64th" thinner and I would have had a very wid and shallow funnel :Mischievous: I would have been able to salvage it, but as it is it is now been called "Eclipse". The center is extremely thin too so I got away with it twice :Cool: That's about as thin as I have ever gone and not gone through!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.