New iPhones

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple has announced two new iPhones at their event today:

The iPhone X (pronounced "iPhone Ten") that has an edge to edge 5.8 " OLED display.

The iPhone 8 and 8+ which looks to be an upgrade from the 7 and 7+ with added features.

We should be hearing more about both iPhones from the technical journals and Apple lovers.

Nothing about price - yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Nothing about price - yet.

Some prices are shown at the Canadian site, at least the bottom end model's "From" prices:
iPhone 8
4.7-inch display
SelectiPhone 8 4.7-inch display
From $929

iPhone 8 Plus
5.5-inch display
SelectiPhone 8 Plus 5.5-inch display
From $1059

iPhone X
5.8-inch display
SelectiPhone X 5.8-inch display
From $1319

Mortgage may be required but not mandatory.!!

No immediate stock for any of the recently announced new models, but pre-order and availability dates listed.

(I guess there were some disappointed buyers who had been camping outside some Apple Stores!! )

- Patrick
======

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks Patrick. I just tuned in to the Fox Business news and learned that the new iPhone Ten will start at $999.00 US. Note... that's the starting price. Air Conditioning and automatic transmission are extra! LOL.

Anyway, it looks like the iPhone Ten won't be available to order until October 27th.

The president of T-Mobile (US Carrier) is already telling T-Mobile customers that they can order the phone by trading in their old one and will get a $300 discount. Of course that will mean getting locked into payments every month.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
my question which so far I can not find the answer for is can you bypass facial recognition and login with just a code?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I knew from pre-release info that the price of some of the new iPhones would be over $1000. Sorry...that's just too much for my taste. Just think what can be purchased for that same $1000 (electronics or otherwise).:)

And from what I was also reading...discounts from cell service providers may not be as large as they used to be.

- Nick

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my question which so far I can not find the answer for is can you bypass facial recognition and login with just a code?

Good question Dennis. I suppose we'll be hearing more about how everything works including the new wireless charging as the first prototypes are out there being tested by those who get to do that. I understand that the iPhone Ten is an anniversary edition, but $1K? I think I'll pass and keep my 7+ for a few more years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I'd take an educated guess and say yes, and just the same way one could bypass and not even invoke the use of the fingerprint login as many did.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I knew from pre-release info that the price of some of the new iPhones would be over $1000. Sorry...that's just too much for my taste. Just think what can be purchased for that same $1000 (electronics or otherwise).:)

And from what I was also reading...discounts from cell service providers may not be as large as they used to be.

- Nick

Ill be passing on an upgrade myself. Now that the carriers have gotten away from subsidized pricing, it just doesn't make sense for me anymore. Before, we were paying on-contract pricing even when off-contract, so I'd flip the old for the cost of getting a new iPhone every 2 years. But now, my 6s is still just fine so I'll keep it for at least another year, then maybe upgrade to a used iPhone 7. There's just no need for the latest shiny. The hard part will be reigning my wife in. She's on a 6s and was pining for a 7 when they came out.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess everyone knows by now that Apple has refurbished iPhones in their on line refurbished store. They currently have the 6s and 6s+ and will soon have the 7 and 7+. The refurbished iPhones come with a new outer case, new screen and new battery. They're warranted for one year. As far as I'm aware, only the US Apple reburbished store has them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
So you pay over £1,000 for a small device you carry around and use all day. One slip, a drop from waist height - or of course a mugger - and you are over a grand down just like that.

Oddly enough, aesthetically the iPhone X still does not look as good as a Samsung and the iPhone 8 looks strangely old-fashioned compared with the iPhone X :(

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

Yes, Dennis.

You can bypass Facial ID and use a passcode. This is especially aimed at family members who regularly share an iPhone.

It is mentioned in this article: http://tidbits.com/article/17460. (look under the iPhone X paragraph)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Gobsmacking price, too big and, as for facial recognition, if it won't work for the big boss at the launch, what hope is there for customers? Would it know the made up me from the non made up me? :Mischievous:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gobsmacking price, too big and, as for facial recognition, if it won't work for the big boss at the launch, what hope is there for customers?

Eh? I didn't watch the event, but are you saying that a demo of the facial recognition failed? #facepalm

And in before I forget... those evil horns on top of the iPhone X are HIDEOUS! I get they wanted to maximize the amount of screen space, and I get wanting to use the area for those service icons, but it should have been reserved EXCLUSIVELY for those. You can always make a wallpaper with a black bar on top to get rid of the horn look, but I read that videos that are zoomed in will fill into those horns, and that's just atrocious. I'm not usually one to guess what Steve Jobs would do, but in this instance I'm sure he would have lost his freaking mind over it.

Would it know the made up me from the non made up me? :Mischievous:

CulmvCU.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's the other point of view regarding the +$1000 price tag of the new iPhone X. It's really more for the aspirational person/luxury market folks. Folks who like to drive expensive cars...wear expensive $10,000 watches...wear the latest fashions...etc.

The iPhone X may not be targeted at mainstream users. Basically it's a luxury product. Similar to the $8000-$10,000 first generation iWatch's that were made with 18k gold.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as I'm aware, only the US Apple reburbished store has them.

Unfortunately for some Canadians that's the case, and heck, they don't even provide a listing or accress at their site:
Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 8.43.50 AM.png

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's the other point of view regarding the +$1000 price tag of the new iPhone X.

I was surprised when I was looking around yesterday that there isn't much difference in price between the latest cellphone releases between Samsung and Apple.

As for absurd cellphone size, (and just add that to their price), I was amazed when looking at the recent hurricane and flood photos and videos as to just how many users were walking around or trying to do something ONE HANDED!! Their one hand was wasted holding onto their cellphone!! Gheese. How stupid. and what a waste of one's hand.

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was surprised when I was looking around yesterday that there isn't much difference in price between the latest cellphone releases between Samsung and Apple.

I think both are experimenting with higher prices. Basically just how much will mainstream users pay for a smart phone.

Like you said about folks in the hurricane area's...users are pretty darn attached to their smartphones. "Should I check Facebook or eat??" Lol

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.