New iPhones

Reaction score
As I got Face ID on a new Iphone X works like a some kind of a 3d scanner. I've found that this guys from one of 3d scanners manufacturer offer that they can make an app for as they say "iPhone 3d scanner". Is it about Face ID, and how is it like? For me it's not comfortable to scan with a frontal camera.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Basically just how much will mainstream users pay for a smart phone

I was quite shocked the other day when reading that many users in China are hesitant to get one of the new iPhones, and especially for the reason — the price is close to or over what the average worker in China earns for an annual wage!!!

And yet, their pride can make them go out and purchase one. Amazing and almost sickening to me.

Odd, my old hand-me-down Samsung cell flip-phone works just fine for my few cell calls I make and my old used iPhone 2 works for any other navigation or other stuff I may need in the car. And, I've still got some pension money left to put on the table if needed. And pride as punch when doing so!!!

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Mid 2015 15", iPhone 6S+
There is a massive market for high-end, high-cost phones. The pricing structure Apple is using will not impact their sales volume at all, but certainly will increase their profits and they know it. US, China, or any other market have more than enough consumers that won't blink at the price. And for those that do balk at price, there will be plenty that put it them on credit.

Apples only concern needs to be the perceived and real value of the product they sell. If the masses like and want it, they will buy it. Me, I want a new iPhone badly, have the funds, but won't buy it due to poor styling choices made by Apple - specifically that nasty notch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
due to poor styling choices made by Apple - specifically that nasty notch.

That "notch" really is surprising and maybe Jony Ives and his boys were more tied up with things at the new Apple Park to not have done something else and better???

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well I have decided since my current 7+ has AppleCare + until September of 2018 I have no plans to replace it. I was not impressed with the iPhone X. All that glass means I no long would have a place to grip at the bottom which I like. The price is impressive though - too impressive for me. I also do not see that big of an improvement in the 8 or 8+ to justify upgrading. The new processor sounds sweet but not for the price.

Now the apple watch with cellular.... that I like. Ordered an Aluminum Space Gray with a loop band and cellular. ;D

Lisa

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now the apple watch with cellular.... that I like. Ordered an Aluminum Space Gray with a loop band and cellular.

Actually, this is the first Apple Watch that I'm impressed with. I'm not sure how much T-Mobile will charge for a data plan as the wife and I are on the new T-Mobile "over 55" plan which gives unlimited everything for $60.00 month including taxes. If they would be willing to allow me to share data between the watch and iPhones, I would be more inclined to buy an Apple watch.

I kind of like the new health monitoring gadgets that the watch provides - like heart and pulse rate. Good for lazy exercisers like me. LOL.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, maybe not.... I just read that the new Apple Watch with cellular has terrible battery life. Someone mentioned that it only gets one hour on battery when using cellular. Doesn't sound reasonable but who knows?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Thanks chscag for clarifying the name, iPhone X (ex) or iPhone Ten. I have been argueing about that for a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, maybe not.... I just read that the new Apple Watch with cellular has terrible battery life. Someone mentioned that it only gets one hour on battery when using cellular. Doesn't sound reasonable but who knows?

Where did you read that? From what I read it looks like it will get the same battery life as my Series 2 which is about two full days.

I am not really concerned as long as it gets at least 18 hours with moderate use. I charge all my devices every night. I also do not plan to make calls on it as I don't like the "feel" of it. I always thought D. Tracy looked dumb. I also don't like the fact anyone can hear both sides of a conversation. I don't use the speaker phone feature on my iPhone much either.

I just want the ability to not worry about where is my phone when I am working in different areas at work. We use the text feature to communicate and when I get too far away from my phone, I don't get the messages. Also I like to walk for exercise with my friend and like the feeling of being able to call for help if needed. We have had a couple of interesting run ins with not so interesting people..... The 911 feature does me no good if I am too far away from the phone which for now I carry it in my pocket.

I read an article that said that Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T are going to charge $10/month and Sprint is $15/mo with a $5 per month deduction if auto bill pay is set up. I just wish my carrier - Sprint - offered a senior discount. I will be asking them about it. I have 3GB of data on my plan that I share with my husband. We never get close to using it. With wifi in my truck, at home and at work, I am usually in a wifi available area so I just don't use much.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if I am too far away from the phone which for now I carry it in my pocket.

Holly cow… what a good idea. But I am surprised that more people don't do the same thing. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where did you read that? From what I read it looks like it will get the same battery life as my Series 2 which is about two full days.

It was mentioned in a long thread I read at MacRumors. I don't believe that either and think the person was just being an Apple Troll. I know that you read MacRumors also so you are aware of all the crazies that post there. They're pretty lax on moderation at MacRumors especially in their Politics forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was mentioned in a long thread I read at MacRumors. I don't believe that either and think the person was just being an Apple Troll. I know that you read MacRumors also so you are aware of all the crazies that post there. They're pretty lax on moderation at MacRumors especially in their Politics forums.

Oh yes, I am aware. I have just over 100 posts on MacRumors and I am VERY careful about what I say because of all the snark.

BTW: Found the article on what it looks like the big four cellular carriers will charge for Apple watch cellular plans.

https://www.techconnect.com/article...lc=&cid=tcon_nlt_techconnect_daily_2017-09-14

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
Hmm. $999 in the USA, £999 in the UK.

Apple was always a bit cheaper to buy in the states, but this seems quite a hike?
It's well out of my budget, anyway.
But, I'll be watching with interest.

Best wishes, CB

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Brexit !!!!!!!!!??????? Or always has been the case ?

Been like that for years. For example, when Apple Music first launched, it was - (and still is) - $9.99/month in the USA and £9.99/month in the UK.

It's all to do with markets and what companies like Apple feel they can recover from each one.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Been like that for years. For example, when Apple Music first launched, it was - (and still is) - $9.99/month in the USA and £9.99/month in the UK.

It's all to do with markets and what companies like Apple feel they can recover from each one.

Ian

And add those expensive shipping costs, especially for those big heavy bass music files Ian.

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Shipping costs, of course; absolutely.

Nice one, Patrick.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
my question is which is the better iPhone X or iPhone 8 Plus?
Better, is a personal choice. What you like, may not be what I like. Your priorities, may not line up with someone else’s.

You need to weigh the features and benefits.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.