New iPhones

Reaction score
Now that there is more information out, I have questions and would like opinions and input. Please correct me if you've heard differently about what I think are facts/features.

From what I gather from listening to Apple fans, AT&T folks, etc, the main difference between the X and 8 Plus (closest in screen size to X) is facial recognition and pad charging. I've heard that the battery life is a bit better for 8 Plus, and the camera is the same.
I don't care about facial rec and I like larger iPhones for my hand size and sideways typing.
So, unless there is something really Earth-shattering about the X, I think I'll get the 8 Plus. $200 dollars less in price with the 8 Plus. I also like the fact that there are still color choices with the 8 Plus.
Thoughts, please?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Um, Have you seen the difference between an OLED display and the normal Apple one in the 8? That alone to me would warrant the difference.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So, unless there is something really Earth-shattering about the X, I think I'll get the 8 Plus. $200 dollars less in price with the 8 Plus. I also like the fact that there are still color choices with the 8 Plus.
Thoughts, please?

If you have a chance to drop in at an Apple Store or your carrier's store, I suggest looking both phones over yourself and then decide. Many folks have observed that there is nothing earth shattering about the 8+ since it is very similar to the 7+. The main difference being that the 8+ supports wireless charging. And when you see the price of wireless chargers, that might make a difference in whether you want to go that route. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have a friend who owns an 8+ and I have the X. As far as which is better - it depends. Cost aside this is what made me go with the X:

1. I had a 7+ so I was use to the larger size but the fact the X is narrower makes it easier for me to hold. I also still get the same screen height just a quarter inch narrower. (It is very close to the size of the 8 but has the edge to edge screen)

2. Screen - The X beats the 8+ for crispness, contrast, vibrance - it just pops. Plus it supports HDR video.

3. The camera in the X is better than the 8+. The telephoto portrait lens on the X has a better aperture (f/2.4 vs f/2.8)

4. Face ID - I actually counted that against the X - until I got it and used it. And I love the swipe instead of hit the home button to move in and out of apps. For me Face ID makes everything faster than Touch ID. I can move between apps faster and easier with just swiping instead of pushing the home button. With the home button half the time Siri showed up as I was trying to do something else.

I could go on and on but it still is a preference thing. My friend with the 8+ wanted the larger phone, did not mind the extra weight, and did not want to spend the extra $$$. I found I love the Face ID, the swipe features, how it felt in my hand, and the beautiful screen.

The best way to make a decision is to handle them both. That will give you a true opinion. Both phones are nice and neither are cheap.

I do find it funny that for a device whose main function is to make phone calls, it is the least thing most people use it for and the least feature that gets talked about. I send a lot more text and use more apps than I ever make calls on it. For some I know that is not true but, it is interesting to look at how the devices have evolved given my first cell phone came in a bag and only made voice calls!
BTW: The call quality is excellent on the X. ;)

Lisa

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Excellent info Lisa as always! I figured you could see the difference on the screen as the OLED is a improvement on the older displays. The thin part intrigues me as I don't have really large hands. Too wide would be hard for me. Thanks for the info!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I do find it funny that for a device whose main function is to make phone calls, it is the least thing most people use it for and the least feature that gets talked about. … … … BTW: The call quality is excellent on the X.

clap.gif lmao.gif

That is hilarious, and I think it's the first time I've actually even heard that point actually mentioned. ;)

Quite amazing now that I think about it.

Thanks Lisa.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Thanks for those who have posted and given input. I have held them both, but didn't spend enough time looking at the screen quality. So, I'll go to the Apple Store and spend more time.
Thanks.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
For my money I always operate one model behind. So I got an iPhone 7 when the iPhone 8 was released and will not be getting an 8 or X until all the bugs have been ironed out, sometime around the release of the iPhone 9 ? Or will it be the iPhone 11 ?
I have a new motto, why not buy yesterday's technology today, at least it works? And if it doesn't you can be sure someone has worked out how to fix it.

Reaction score
Now that there is more information out, I have questions and would like opinions and input. Please correct me if you've heard differently about what I think are facts/features.

From what I gather from listening to Apple fans, AT&T folks, etc, the main difference between the X and 8 Plus (closest in screen size to X) is facial recognition and pad charging. I've heard that the battery life is a bit better for 8 Plus, and the camera is the same.
I don't care about facial rec and I like larger iPhones for my hand size and sideways typing.
Thoughts, please?

okey! Thanks for your suggestion and reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Rod - I get what you are saying and can see the logic.

Drewber - If you go over to Macrumors.com there is a ton of information and opinions on both the 8+ and the X. You will find people are finding issues with the X - more so than with the 8+. I have read all through them and can say my X does not show any of the issues others are having. So if you are leary of the really new and not tried and true then the X is not for you. I tend to like new and shiney but I do get AppleCare + just incase! ;D

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Like your new avatar Lisa.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Got to agree with all of Lisa's points and to add one more

3. The camera in the X is better than the 8+. The telephoto portrait lens on the X has a better aperture (f/2.4 vs f/2.8)
It's also worth noting that both cameras use optical image stabilisation whereas it's just on the main camera on the 8+.

So if you use the telephoto and/or take low light pictures you'll gain extra benefit from this.

M

MacInWin

For my money I always operate one model behind. So I got an iPhone 7 when the iPhone 8 was released and will not be getting an 8 or X until all the bugs have been ironed out, sometime around the release of the iPhone 9 ? Or will it be the iPhone 11 ?
I have a new motto, why not buy yesterday's technology today, at least it works? And if it doesn't you can be sure someone has worked out how to fix it.
Rod, the problem with the theory is that unlike software, Apple does not update hardware in any particular model. A model 7 is always a model 7, and the things that are "new" in it are going to stay "new" in it, even though they may be also added to the 8. The 8 will then have its own "new" hardware which will need shaking down. I got the 8 over the X because I didn't want the size of the X. I like the 8, not the "+" of any of them. It's a personal preference, so I'm not trying to influence anybody else. But I do like the faster speed and more memory in the 8 over the 7 that I traded in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.