Deletion of unwanted items in the security tab

Reaction score
The image shows two items in the Security tab of Safari. I have tried to "remove all", but they both instantly come back (unlike many others, that can be deleted permanently). Is there any way of deleting these? I have a yahoo account, but zenfolio, as far as I know, is a company that makes web sites, whose services I have never used.

Many thanks

This is an IMac running latest Sierra OS.

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 10.16.24 copy.jpg

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Some site you are visiting uses Zenfolio services and as such their files are being created.

OP
E
Reaction score
Yes, RazOrEdge, I assume that is the case. But is also the case with the myriad other sites that put cookies and other nonsense in that area, and I can delete those. My question is how can I delete the two offending items, when the "Remove All" does not work.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Without offence, ernesto18, I take you have tried Clicking on each one individually and then clicking on "Remove"?

The "Remove" only becomes useable when an individual site is highlighted. That's how I remove mine. I rarely want to "Remove All".

Ian

OP
E
Reaction score
Many thanks for your answer, IWT. As I always used "Remove all", after your message I thought I had been silly... But no, deleting by "Remove all" or just "Remove", highlighting each individual entry, has the same result: the items are removed, but a few seconds later, they are back. And it only happens with those two, all others disappear and don't come back. These two items are also immune to erasing all History. You can understand that this problem is not keeping me awake at night, but why is it happening?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I have an idea, perhaps not a particularly clever one but.......

Suppose you isolate your iMac from the Internet; that is, no Ethernet connection, WiFi turned off. No contact with Internet at all.

Then do as previously, and remove these two. Now what happens?

I'm struggling, but trying to identify whether the two rogues are related to something running in the background on your iMac; or are coming in via the Internet because something on your iMac is sending out info and getting a response in return.

If that makes sense.

Ian

OP
E
Reaction score
Many thanks again, IWT. I tried with no Ethernet, and no WIFI: the result is the same. So it is something local to my iMac, does not depend on having an Internet connection.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very interesting.

I wonder what Moderator Ashwin thinks; but it seems logical to me that, sometime in the past, something has been downloaded and is running in the background.

You could try this: Go into Finder > Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor

This will show you all the processes running on your Mac.

For each category along the top CPU, Memory etc, type zenfolio in the Search box (top right) and see if anything comes up.

Do the same for yahoo.

If it does, click on the item. Then top left, there are three small icons. The middle one is the letter I standing for Information. Clicking on that tells you all about it. To the far left of the three is a x. Clicking on this forces that process to Quit.

The info part might give a hint as to what is running it. In any event, force quitting it is what you want.

Let's see how that goes.

Ian

OP
E
Reaction score
IWT: I could not find any process that answered under the names "zenfolio" or "yahoo".
ferrarr: I will certainly try that, as it looks very useful. I have no software to protect from malaware in my Mac.

BUT... I found the solution! Doing lots of searches in google, playing with the search terms, eventually I found someone who had the answer.

Go Mackintosh HD--- Users--- my name--- Library---safari--- Databases. There I found the following:

A folder called "_IndexedDB"
A folder "Zenfolio"
A folder "Yahoo"
Three files: Databases.db, Databases.db-shm, Databases.db-wal

I deleted both offending folders. Yahoo went completely from Safari, did not come back. But zenfolio, although there was no folder of that name anymore in the "Databases" folder, kept coming back. So I deleted all files and folders in the "Databases" folder (if some disaster happened, I could put them back). This cured the problem, zenfolio also disappeared from the Security tab. The folder called "_IndexedDB" is now back, and contains zero bytes (when before being deleted contained 6 bytes).

Safari works as usual.

I have to thank all the people that replied and gave me suggestions. I have only recently joined this forum, and I am very impressed by the quick responses, and the interest shown. Many thanks.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brilliant. Well done ernesto.

And thanks for letting us know.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.