• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Aaaargh - waited too long for Apple Care... Any hope?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15" 2.2 i7 - OS 10.7.2
Purchased a new 27" iMac from Simply Mac in Bozeman 2+ months ago. Woke up today realizing I hadn't purchased the extended Apple Care for it. Still under 90 days. Checked and the period is 60 days from purchase. Have been buying Macs for over 20 years and thought it used to be 90 days. The Apple guy (on chat) said, No, it's been 60 for some time.
Does anyone know if there's any avenue of appeal on issues like this? Sick to my stomach I missed it.
Thanks
Rick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Is this a new Mac or one that has been refurbished by Simply Mac? I ask because that may make a difference. Can you provide the specs from About This Mac?

Here's Apple's info regarding purchase of AppleCare+ and an overview of what it covers. Essentially the 90 day period is for free phone support on new Macs. That page does carry this note
Purchase AppleCare+ with your new Mac. Or buy it within 60 days of your Mac purchase:

Note: When searching for information there is both AppleCare and AppleCare+

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Rick - 60 days seems to be the rule; go HERE and enter the serial number of your new iMac - AppleCare coverage can be checked but likely the 'same story.' If you've already done a chat on the Apple website w/ a NO response, then a call likely will not be of much use - sorry. Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sue:

Not any more. Looks like Apple has done away with the standard Apple Care for which you would be correct. Now it's called Apple Care Plus and must be purchased within 60 days. However, for the OP, if his iMac is new, it's covered under the Apple one year warranty just not Apple Care Plus. By the way, Apple Care Plus now covers accidental damage.

Having said the above, I don't know if the same applies to the UK. I know it does for the US and Canada.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
That link is current. Six months for Phone, iPad & Watch but all Macs are within 12 months. Plus only available on phones here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks to Sue and Harry it appears that the latest Apple Care Plus only applies to the US and Japan. I previously was under the impression that it also included Canada but it does not.

Here is the LINK that explains the cost and eligibility for Apple Care +. (Same link as Harry posted above but for the US.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
FWIW: Here's what Apple says at my Canadian site:

Important notes

The AppleCare Protection Plan can be purchased only while your Mac is still covered under the standard one-year limited warranty. Purchase of the plan is not required to purchase the covered equipment. See AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions for complete product details.
https://www.apple.com/ca/support/products/mac.html
(Bold mine)

I'd double check the Apple site for the area that applies for the OP.

- Patrick
======

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15" 2.2 i7 - OS 10.7.2
Slydude, RadDave, Sue, chscag, Patrick - thanks much for posting. Just got back to check this thread. OK - understood. Too late- in several countries! I did call Simply Mac and no hope there either. Just have to hope the iMac purrs for the next, oh, five years at least!
Thanks again for posting. Much appreciated! Best to all.
Rick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just a couple comments regarding Applecare+ (as it applies in North America...other areas may differ)...in regards to Apple computers. Yeah...it's a somewhat different animal than the old "Applecare". With the old Applecare we had 12 months from time of purchase to buy Extended Applecare. Now Applecare+ must be purchased within 60 days of purchase.

- Applecare+ comes with up to 2 incidents of accidential damage coverage. But...this isn't as "rosey" as it seems...since some service fee's apply to these damage "incidents".

i.e. "AppleCare+ for Mac extends your coverage to three years from the original purchase date of your Mac and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other damage, plus applicable tax."

Many folks may not read the fine print...since Apple may be advertising Applecare+ as including coverage for two incidents of accidential damage. But these "2 incidents of accidential damage coverage" are certainly not free (as mentioned above)!

Of course one of the worst "accidents" we see here at Mac-Forums is when liquid is spilt on a notebook/laptop computer. $299 for a new logic board may seem like a pretty good price (right??).;) But...there's the inital cost of $99 to $379 for Applecare+ (depending on the device). So for example. If someone had Applecare+ on a 13" MacBook Pro with liquid damage...that required a replacement logic board. The initial cost of Applecare+ is $269...plus the $299 service fee...which means that this person still (in total) had to pay $568 + tax for the replacement logic board.

Again...probably less than it would cost without Applecare+...but not by a whole lot.;)

- Nick

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As usual, Nick has presented the "true value" of what it costs. :) I find it a bit ridiculous to think of accidental damage (Apple Care Plus) for something like an iMac or Mini which here at Mac-Forums I have never heard of a spill on either one. And screen damage would be rare. I guess it's possible to spill a drink on the keyboard but that can be replaced easily and is inexpensive.

With the new Apple Care Plus in effect in the US, discounted Apple Care is no longer available from dealers such as B&H Photo in NY. And it appears you can no longer buy the older Apple Care for any of the 2017 Apple Products here in the US.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
As usual you two are right on top of things. I have to admit that on initial reading that accidental damage coverage looks good for things like IOS devices. When you delve into costs a bit more as Nice as your opinion may change depending upon whether you're dealing with IOS devices or Macs.

I wonder what the 60 day time limit for AppleCare+ will do to sales of those warranties. The numbers might start to drop a bit.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It appears Apple has us either way. Not buying Apple Care + for a new expensive 2017 Touchbar 15" MacBook Pro or a top of the line 2017 21.5" or 27" iMac can be an expensive mistake if something should need repairing after the one year standard warranty is up. These new MacBook Pro machines and iMacs are glued together and almost impossible for the run of the mill owner to even think about trying to repair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a couple comments regarding Applecare+ (as it applies in North America...other areas may differ)...

Bang on Nick, even for some of us Canadians.

I was told Apple had an "Phone Replacement" policy in place and after I had spent a considerable amount of time to track down and check on all the details, basically for my wife's iPhone 6 that ended up at the bottom of Todd Inlet when a big wave hit her in a kayak, the "Replacement Costs" would have cost way more than what we paid for the iPhone.

Granted we got it for a good price, but still more than I could buy a replacement for, and oh yes, they had to have the actual iPhone returned. No bloody likely unless I got and paid big bucks for a scuba diver and their recovery costs.

Thanks but no thanks thanks Apple.

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The cost analysis for Applecare+ mentioned earlier was for a 13" MacBook Pro with a hyothetical liquid spill requiring a logic board replacement. Costs for an iPhone or iPad are lower...since the intital cost of Applecare+ is less...and the service fees are less.

- The cost of Applecare+ for an iPhone 8, iPhone 7, and iPhone 6s is $129.
- Again it covers up to 2 incidents.
- Service fees are $29 for a screen replacement...and $99 for anything else.

For example:

- Total cost for a cracked screen would be $129 for the initial cost of Applecare+...plus $29 service fee. Roughly = $158 + tax.
- Total cost for a liquid damaged iPhone 8, iPhone 7, or iPhone 6s would be $129 for the initial cost of Applecare+...plus $99 service fee. Roughly = $228 + tax.

* Applecare+ cost for iPhone plus models is $149. Service fees are the same.
* Applecare+ cost for iPad is $99. Only seems to be one service fee of $49 for any sort of damage.

One VERY important detail for Applecare+ for iPhones or iPads is...Applecare+ for these devices is only 2 years in duration...not 3 years like it is for computers!

- Nick

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course things are a bit different in Canada:

iPhone service pricing
Apple repair costs in Canada

iPhone model……….Screen only (out of warranty)……..Other damage (out of warranty)
… …
…..iPhone 6……………. $ 169……………………………………….$ 389

Other services
Your iPhone might need other repairs, such as the Home button, the rear camera, or liquid damage. You might be able to use an incident of AppleCare+ accidental damage coverage for these repairs.
Not all issues are repairable. If your iPhone has catastrophic damage from an accident or it’s inoperable after unauthorized modifications, you might need to buy a replacement.

Yup, as they say… you might need to buy a replacement, or at least it might be cheaper to do so. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.