eMac noisy fan?

D

daniel.irons

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a second hand eMac - 1.25ghz, 1gb ram etc.

But i've heard about some eMacs having problems with noisy fans, whereas some seem to be ok. Does anyone know if this is a problem with any specific model of the eMac?

Also, would this mac be up to running final cut etc, as a cheap solution to a video editing machine? (until i can afford something a little newer).

Thanks very much for any help.

/

OP
B

Badger

My eMac fan was about the same volume as my G3 iMac, noticeable but not obtrusive. I've not heard whether this is a problem with specific machines but there is a hardware hack to install a speed control at: http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eMac/eMac-upgrade.html (scroll down to fan section). I have not used Final Cut but I found that my eMac (1 ghz, 768 mb RAM) seemed to take its time when running some simple projects in iMovie and iDVD. IMO you'd better off with a high-end mini, even a used one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
The G3 iMac is fanless isn't it?

All I can hear on my G3 DV 400Mhz is the hard drive spinning very quietly (Seagate).

The old 10GB Maxtor in the iMac made a huge racket though (louder than the fans of my Athlon 64 laptop!).

OP
B

Badger

The first series G3 iMac (tray-loading CD drives) have fans, the second series G3 (slot-loading optical drives) are convection cooled without fans.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.