So now I need to learn Morse Code

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mojave 10.14.3, Late 2015, 21.5" display, 2.8ghz, 16GB
Oh man.....got my new RAM problem fixed....I think.....had the mac up and running yesterday.....while working on it we had a power outage from a storm, but it started back up and seemed fine. When it left it last night everything was good. Had it set to go to sleep at 11:00pm and wake at 7:00am....but this morning instead of waking up as usual, it started that awful foghorn noise....3 short 3 long and then 3 short again, and won't start.

I don't know morse code for Macs.....what's it telling me now?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Are you absolutely sure it's 3 long tones & 3 short tones? Since you dealt with the RAM most recently...three long tones repeated means a RAM issue. 3 long followed by 3 short is a different thing:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202768

What I would do is remove the new RAM...then firmly reinsert it. If this does not help...remove all new RAM & reinstall all the old RAM.

If you truely do have 4 long & 3 short tones...that's a different issue (see the link above).

- Nick

p.s. Moved thread to better area.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Reinyrooster

The problem is your 2009 24" iMac is a senior citizen with senior problems. At the rate it's going with that RAM problem, your iMac will soon be in a nursing home. ;)

Do as Nick recommended above. It seems you have problems with those memory slots; either that, or the modules are not seated properly. We've been thru this before so there is not much more we can suggest. Since you're located in Ontario, I'm sure there are some local Mac clubs or enthusiastic Mac users who could possibly help. If it turns out to be a hardware problem, (bad memory slots) it doesn't pay to spend a lot of money on repairs.

OP
Reinyrooster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with it wouldn't be wise to spend much on repairs of a machine that age. Biggest problem for me is this is such lousy timing for me to have computer problems with everything that I have going on right now. Helping my daughter and her husband renovate a house that they recently bought and moved into...spent the last two days installing a kitchen.....today that same daughter and her husband had their second daughter that they are adopting, born today....3 weeks ahead of schedule, so now there is an added rush to get the nursery done. Anyway...the list goes on. I'll see if I have time to monkey with it later tonight when I get home from visiting my newest granddaughter. If not there are some local repair shops I can go to, if it gets to that.
I wanna say thanks to everyone on this site. I have had some issues with this Mac and have posted many questions....there is never of shortage of people jumping in with information to help out.
Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Biggest problem for me is this is such lousy timing for me to have computer problems with everything that I have going on right now.

Unfortunately 99% of the time this is usually the case. Rarely does someone's current computer crap-out at EXACTLY the same time they're shopping for a new one.;)

Hopefully it's just a RAM issue. But as mentioned above...big difference between 3-long & 3-short beeps...versus just 3 long.

- Nick

OP
Reinyrooster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well when I finally got home last night I tried re-installing the RAM and again got the 3 short followed by 3 long foghorns.......today she goes into the shop....keeping my fingers crossed that I didn't just waste good money on a large paperweight with new RAM.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like the 3 long & 3 short beeps is the issue. This is what the Apple link above says:

• Three long tones, three short tones, three long tones: EFI ROM corruption is detected, and your Mac is in EFI ROM recovery mode. Newer computers automatically recover from a corrupted ROM; when this occurs, a progress bar appears on the screen during ROM recovery mode. Don't disturb your Mac while the ROM recovery takes place. When recovery is complete, your Mac restarts.
I would have investigated this further before taking it to the shop (since it seems something the computer sort of does on its own). In any case...hopefully it's an easy & cheap fix.:)

- Nick

OP
Reinyrooster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, thanks for the info. I read that as well but figured it wasn't the case with mine for a few reasons: it says newer computers....mine is early 2009 so I figured they weren't referring to that vintage and also talks about a power bar appearing.....mine didn't so that, all I got was the black screen. I even let it bellow for about 20 minutes before I snapped, and turned it off. Just too hectic right now to be playing around trying to get this thing working.
It's in the shop now....$20.00 to diagnose.....expecting a call later today with the diagnosis......keeping my fingers crossed.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's all good. If you explored the EFI ROM issue & nothing worked out...then the shop would be the next step. Good luck.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm sure there are some local Mac clubs or enthusiastic Mac users who could possibly help.

If Reinyrooster is interested, there's the http://www.ehmac.ca members site that used to have a lot of good gurus and many are in the Ontario area, but unfortunately since the "mayor" passed it onto the new owners, it's become a bunch of a lot of political crap. Not my style, but still some good Mac stuff and forums. Take a gander…

And BTW: Is that iMac plugged into a proper GOOD quality surge connector. Advisable in lightening prone areas.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately 99% of the time this is usually the case. Rarely does someone's current computer crap-out at EXACTLY the same time they're shopping for a new one.

clap.gif lmao.gif

And if and when it might happen, you can surely bet the specific model you were looking at and wanting is suddenly out of stock and not immediately available!! :Grimmace:

- Patrick
======

OP
Reinyrooster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I'm back......the shop cost me $20.00....not bad......determined that the original 4mg RAM is now working but the 8mg I bought just won't work...shop says they have heard that a significant number of people are having problems with the Corsair Ram so I will return it tomorrow and see what else might be available.
Now on to getting rid of that MacKeeper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
FYI...

3 short, 3 long, 3 short is morse code for S-O-S

dot dot dot dash dash dash dot dot dot is the actual code.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
…shop says they have heard that a significant number of people are having problems with the Corsair Ram …

Don't forget to checkout our local Canadian http://canadaram.com/macram.htm

Very well respected and experienced and top quality products, RAM included of course.

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...the shop cost me $20.00....not bad......determined that the original 4mg RAM is now working but the 8mg I bought just won't work...

I suggested this back in post #2...could have saved you $20 bucks & the trip back & forth to the shop!;)

- Nick

OP
Reinyrooster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried that back then and it didn't work. At one point the shop thought that maybe the RAM slots themselves were the problem, but after tinkering found that they were not. Taking the RAM back today to try and exchange for another brand.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok...good deal. Confusing that it worked for the shop.

The important thing is you now have a solution...and a working computer at the moment (with the original RAM).:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Taking the RAM back today to try and exchange for another brand.

I believe your iMac is a "Penryn" model and JFYI they were very fussy about the RAM modules used.
Another reason I suggested canadaRAM.com who are very aware or the problems and can supply the proper, working RAM.

Mention that I recommended them. ;)

PS: And just another reminder to get and use a good, proper surge protector at least, especially for your lightning prone area. It could have been what zapped your previous short-term running replacement module(s) as well.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mention that I recommended them.

LOL. Besides "Find Any File" and now "CanadaRAM" are there any other companies you're affiliated with?

OP
Reinyrooster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I returned the Corsair RAM and exchanged it for a "Mushkin" brand. Popped them in and all went according to plan. So much smoother operation that monkeying with the other ones. Got more RAM, got rid of MacKeeper....now I'm happy and can get on with learning all the Mac stuff.
Thanks again to everyone for the assistance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.