Can I opt out of the Mac OS High Sierra upgrade and still get security patches?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
I am running an iMac on Mac OS Sierra, Version 10.12.6. Can I opt out of updating to High Sierra and still get OS patches from Apple for security? Reason being, I don't want to have to spend another $200 for Logic in order to work with the new OS system.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Kind of depends how long you do this. You will still get all security patches that are relevant for El Capitan (the OS mentioned in your profile for your iMac)...but if a security patch is only meant for High Sierra (or Sierra) for example...then your iMac running El Capitan will not get that Security Patch.

Now this is not to say that the next security patch (or patches) won't be applicable to El Capitan, Sierra, and High Sierra (as an example)...but eventually El Capitan will no longer receive security patches (which happens will all older OS versions eventually).

Bottom line is. Eventually security patches for El Capitan (or any older OS) will no longer be supported...then you will need to upgrade the OS in order to get newer security patches (if you feel you need/want them)...versus purchasing a newer version of Logic.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you are still on El Capitan consider downloading Sierra before it disappears from the AppStore when High Sierra is released. That way you will have Sierra available as an option.

Which version of Logic are you running?

Edit (for Clarification) You can download the Sierra installer and dimply save it to your hard drive or an external drive. Just make sure that you don't run the installation. When asked to choose an install location stop the process.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Great suggestion Mr. Slydude.:) An important habit for all users to get used to that don't typically install & run the lastest OS.

- Nick

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
If you are still on El Capitan consider downloading Sierra before it disappears from the AppStore when High Sierra is released. That way you will have Sierra available as an option.

Which version of Logic are you running?

Edit (for Clarification) You can download the Sierra installer and dimply save it to your hard drive or an external drive. Just make sure that you don't run the installation. When asked to choose an install location stop the process.

I own Logic Pro 9.

I updated my profile... I have been using OS X Sierra 10.12.6 every since it came out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thread moved to correct forum. Has nothing to do with iOS which is for iPhones and iPads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The direct answer to the OP's question is no. You cannot get up to date patches for an out of date OS. Apple will eventually stop releasing patches for older versions, otherwise known as "no longer supported" versions.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Every update and upgrade to macOS requires you to specifically begin the process. That being said, once High Sierra is released, you can choose to not perform the upgrade and stick with Sierra. The current version, as you already know, is 10.12.6 and Apple might continue some security fixes for Sierra, but it will shift its attention to High Sierra. So there might not be that many more updates to Sierra once High Sierra is released.

Most applications have moved to Yosemite 10.10 as the base for operating, so you'll be set for a couple of macOS releases before apps move to either Sierra or High Sierra as the base version of the OS at which point you will have to either upgrade or risk running the older version of an application..

At some point, you'll likely want to upgrade to the newer version of Logic which will work for a few more future OS'..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You could download High Sierra, and install it on an external drive to see if there is something you like about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
FWIW, I know several music people and Logic Pro users and they don't even worry about any OS X "security patches" or even pay too much attention to the OS X version and apps that just work for them, but then again, some only use their Macs in their music studios and are hardly ever even connected to the Internet so no "security patches" are even really needed.

And even some of the latest security update patches aren't even needed or applicable for a lot of the previous OS X versions.

Just saying… :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.