SSD question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
I love my new 2017 27" iMac. (Version 10.12.6)

But, it has started making this really odd noise and, I wonder, are SSDs supposed to be silent? The noise is somewhat a high pitched winding noise. It is loud enough to be aggravating and to be picked up by my iPhone when I do a voice recording. But if you have a hearing deficit you couldn't pick it up. I'm going to take my phone in and let the Apple Store listen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
It won't be your SSD - no moving parts. I will put my bet on the fans that cool the system. If you google fan noise for your model you will find some will say there is fan noise and other will say their iMac is silent. If you can hear it AND it is loud enough to be picked up when voice recording, I would be contacting the Apple Store. That is unacceptable. I frequently do voice overs on videos and when I do I shut down all my noisemakers - window a/c and my windows PC (she has some major fan noise.) But my Mac Pro is always totally silent. So is the iMac that is used to mix music tracks.

Call the Apple Store - let us know what they come up with. I am sure there will be others with concerns as others start to purchase the new model.

Lisa

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
Thank you for your prompt reply. I never thought of it being the fan. It definitely is not silent and it is just a high enough pitch to be aggravating. I'll see what Apple has to say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thank you for your prompt reply. I never thought of it being the fan. It definitely is not silent and it is just a high enough pitch to be aggravating. I'll see what Apple has to say.

Hi Nancy.. - if your fan is running at a HIGH speed, then try a SMC Reset - has happened to my wife's iMac several times over the last 4 years or so. Also, you may want to obtain an app that monitors fan speed(s) - I use iStat Menus, which tracks MUCH more, of course. If still a problem and being a new computer, then check w/ Apple as you suggest in your OP. Good luck - Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lots of reported noisy 2017 27" iMacs on various forums. Almost all agree that it is the fan which is making the noise. My advice is to contact Apple as soon as possible and have them start an entry in their log about your iMac. You never know when Apple will start a recall on that problem so you definitely want to get on record just in case. Your iMac should be covered by Apple Care.

And Lisa is correct in that some folks say their new iMac is silent. However, if there are iMacs with defective fans, Apple will replace them under warranty so be sure to contact Apple about your iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lots of reported noisy 2017 27" iMacs on various forums. Almost all agree that it is the fan which is making the noise. My advice is to contact Apple as soon as possible and have them start an entry in their log about your iMac. You never know when Apple will start a recall on that problem so you definitely want to get on record just in case. Your iMac should be covered by Apple Care.

And Lisa is correct in that some folks say their new iMac is silent. However, if there are iMacs with defective fans, Apple will replace them under warranty so be sure to contact Apple about your iMac.

Hi Chscag - I'll probably buy my wife a new iMac later this year near the holiday season - she likes the 21.5" size display (plan on a SSD, retina screen, and likely extra RAM) - are these 'smaller' iMac models having the same fan issues? If so, I can certainly delay the purchase until Apple 'works out' the problem(s). Thanks (and those to others responding) for any comments. Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Chscag - I'll probably buy my wife a new iMac later this year near the holiday season - she likes the 21.5" size display (plan on a SSD, retina screen, and likely extra RAM) - are these 'smaller' iMac models having the same fan issues? If so, I can certainly delay the purchase until Apple 'works out' the problem(s). Thanks (and those to others responding) for any comments. Dave :)

Hi Dave:

From what I have read about the problem, it seems it's only the new 2017 27" iMacs that are affected. I haven't seen an ifixit breakdown on the new 27" iMacs so am not sure if they have only one fan as previous models, or if the more powerful graphic cards they contain also have a fan. The 21.5" models apparently are OK.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macrumors has a post about the fan noise with a guy who posted a video that included the noise: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-new-imac-is-a-lot-noisier.2051501/

From what I am reading it seems to be just the 27" models but that is not conclusive.

Lisa

Hi Dave:

From what I have read about the problem, it seems it's only the new 2017 27" iMacs that are affected. I haven't seen an ifixit breakdown on the new 27" iMacs so am not sure if they have only one fan as previous models, or if the more powerful graphic cards they contain also have a fan. The 21.5" models apparently are OK.

Thanks Lisa & Chscag for your comments on the 21.5" iMac model - will await the appearance of High Sierra (maybe its first update) and then consider a purchase - she cracked that corner display months ago but the computer works fine, so no hurry for me. Dave :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
I called Apple support today to put in a report on the fan noise. She reported their system was down and I could call back this afternoon. I just thought that was sort of funny.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Nancy:

Does your new iMac have an i7 or i5 CPU? Some further reading on the fan noise problem has shown that the noise seems to be more prevalent on the iMacs that are equipped with the i7 CPU. Let us know what Apple tells you whenever they get their system up and running.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
@Nancy:

Does your new iMac have an i7 or i5 CPU? Some further reading on the fan noise problem has shown that the noise seems to be more prevalent on the iMacs that are equipped with the i7 CPU. Let us know what Apple tells you whenever they get their system up and running.

It has the i5. I will call back next week. At least they have it in their log. I did an online chat first and they referred me to a telephone chat. It has made minimal noise today.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
Update: With some embarrassment I must post this update. This morning, the noise (which is exactly the noise the youtube guy posted) became louder. I walked around my office several times and discovered It isn't coming from my iMac at all. It is coming from one of the light sockets in a chandelier near my computer. I unscrewed the bulb and it stopped. Exact same noise!

YEP that's the noise! It sort of makes you batty after a few minutes. I'm not asking my computer to do anything taxing. Thank ya'll so much for the help. I'll go ahead and notify Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well I am glad it is not the iMac. Now I would wonder why the bulb was making that noise - electrical connection issues between the light socket and bulb or something jittering in the bulb itself? At least removing the bulb stopped the noise which is better than taking in for repair and them telling you they can't reproduce the noise.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for posting that update. I suspect we've all had an embarrassing troubleshooting moment or two. I'd past mine but it would be a long read.

Try changing the bulb that you unscrewed for a known good bulb and see if the noise returns. Some types of lighting often starts to make noises as the bulb is near failure but can also make the same noise in other situations. Using a known good bulb might clarify things a bit.

M

MacInWin

If it's coming from the socket on the wall, I would have someone competent in electrical work take a look. Sockets with loose wires can make noises as the wire moves just a little bit as the power is loaded on. It's actually a fire hazard at that point, so it's well worth having it checked.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
Thanks MacInWin. Mice are always a problem in this rural area. Living in a log home makes it worse. I will have it checked out. The noise was coming from one of the sockets in a 4 bulb hanging light in the office. I suppose just a coincidence it didn't start until the new iMac arrived.

M

MacInWin

Nancy, light bulbs develop a bit of corrosion on the threads in either the socket or on the bulb itself. That corrosion then acts as a loose connection, alternately blocking and allowing current to pass. That's the hum. What is dangerous is that the hum also increases the heat. Hence, the fire hazard. One bulb may not be all that need attention. I would replace all the bulbs in that lamp with new ones with clean threads. And tighten them in so that in the future the corrosion cannot get between the socket and bulb.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good advice from Jake. But I'll also add that replacing incandescent bulbs with the newer LED bulbs that are being sold lowers the current that it draws and thus much less heat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.