What Makes Fiber Optic Cables Better Than Copper Cables?

Reaction score
There are few things in my mind, which is the best fiber optic cable or copper cable. I need help for the clear about this point. which is the better and faster connectivity cable?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Two very different methods of transmitting data Antonio. Copper transmission is by electrical current and suffers from loss due to the resistance of the copper to conducting whereas fibre is optical (light) and therefore much faster and suffers almost no loss.
Fibre optic will always be better than copper but then the equipment being connected need to have the facility to transmit and receive optical information. Not all do even today.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Perhaps if you tell us what application you are looking at, we can better confine the answers, otherwise speaking cheddar-caveman is spot on about the differences..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
From an Audio Visual point of view the difference in output quality will be negligible. Whilst it's true that copper is susceptible to losses over long distances it wouldn't likely be of concern to the home user. Fibre Optic is however less robust mechanically and can suffer damage if handled or installed incorrectly.

I have small lengths of FO cables (mainly Toslink) connecting bits of AV equipment but I'm putting Cat 5e and Co-ax in every room as I refurb the house for the avoidance of any doubt.
If it's a broadband query then of course newly installed FO networks would outperform older existing narrow copper bandwidths.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Maybe you guys did such a great job replying...OP got all the info they needed.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
a clear distinction

Hi Antonio

fibre optical works faster than copper. while copper depends on transfer through metallic electronic transmission,and are thus resisted by metallic friction; fibre optical work through internal reflections thus almost the speed of light. far more faster than the copper one. upvotes to fibre optical cable. extra advantage it does not get rugged with time unlike copper cable. Fibre optical seem expensive than copper but it is much more reliable and makes up that cost with its speed and negligible maintenance cost.
upvote my answer if your query is clarified.

:Cool:;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If I was a betting man I'd guess that was a school/college/homework question, probably posted to a number of forums to try and get a response that wouldn't be easily identified as a standard Google copy and paste.

Or am I getting old and cynical ;)

No offense to the OP if not the case!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Since the link to the ABC as provided by IWT was written, we have had a change to an ultra right wing government who immediately scrapped the idea for a much, much cheaper (and much much slower) option of fibre to the node, and then the old, old copper wires for those living in metropolitan areas nwhilst we in rural areas are still waiting, and that paper was written in 2009!

So there is much more to your question for consideration and difficult mto reply without knowing all the factors.

Reaction score
I think most of us are happy to take the question at face value - a genuine wish to know which is the better option - than to try to bring politics or anything else totally irrelevant into the post!

Reaction score
Fiber optics can send tremendous amounts of data. Tremendous is a small adjective since it can be manipulated using pulses of light. Signal can travel further and with little resistance to the the fibers itself. Light does not interfere with each other (but in quantum mechanics, it does), so, severe thunderstorms cannot interfere with data transfers.

With copper, it cannot transmit as much data versus fiber optics. Even though copper is one of the most conductive materials for electricity, it will still suffer resistance and severe thunderstorms both will kill your internet dead. Did I mention copper is prone to theft for its value?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.